UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass receives grant to improve privacy in smart homes and buildings

(Collegian File Photo)

The National Science Foundation awarded a three-year, $486,524 grant for a research project to enhance privacy in smart buildings and homes, led by two faculty members at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Objects that make up the Internet of Things (IoT), which consist of internet-connected physical utilities that send data to cloud servers to improve their operability, have become more prevalent in so-called smart buildings. Researchers at UMass said that this brings the risk of data leakage from objects in the IoT.

“The eventual goal of this research project is to find ways that allow users to control privacy when IoT devices are employed in homes,” Prashant Shenoy, a professor in the College of Information and Computer Sciences and co-investigator of the project said,

David Irwin, an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and lead investigator of this project, explained that smart meters, devices in smart homes that gather data and send it to third parties to create statistics, will be important to the project. Irwin said the smart meters could be used to compile energy statistics by sending data from utilities such as solar panels.

Irwin also said that the project would be composed similarly to a set of smaller projects, with each one focusing on different smart utilities.

Irwin and Shenoy also plan to build a programmable shed fitted with smart appliances that will aid them in their project. They plan to create a series of experimental designs and prototypes to demonstrate what privacy techniques can be implemented with certain devices and what kind of information can be easily leaked.

“We also hope to look at cost-effective privacy techniques, where in most cases, there is a tradeoff between cost and privacy,” Irwin said.

“In the end, we would like to leave the user in charge of the data, and decide which data is worthwhile to share with the cloud service,” Shenoy said. “We want to prevent users losing control of their data through a deployed device, by being forced to share it.”

Shenoy said that this projects stems from  previous preliminary work done by Irwin and him. He said they had experimented with the idea of creating a smart water heater to improve privacy, by creating electrical noise that made it difficult for others to steal sensitive data, while carrying out its normal task of heating water.

Based on this, they obtained their grant under the Cyber-Physical Systems Security Program from the NSF.

Irwin and Shenoy stressed that the increasing amount of devices using IoT technology is creating concerns about privacy, especially as the amount of devices using IoT technology increases. They said that while these devices have vast potential to improve society, there still exist security issues which need to be addressed.

Tanaya M. Asnani can be reached at tasnani@umass.edu.