UMass swimming and diving teams fall to Brown Saturday

Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian
Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both experienced defeat at Brown University Saturday in their third dual meets of the 2015-16 season. With final scores of 203-95 and 210-89 respectively, it was a tough day for the program in Providence, Rhode Island.

Facing a complete performance from the Bears, the Minutemen were held to only three first place finishes along with three second place finishes. Owen Wright took first place in the 100-yard freestyle (46.56 seconds) along with second place finishes in the 50 (21.13 seconds) and 200-yard freestyle (1:43.30). Heath Maginn also added a second place finish for UMass in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:07.50.

The Minutemen added two first and third place results with Nolan Burns (277.65 points) winning the 3-meter dive and Trent Kindvall (255.90 points) earning the highest score in the 1-meter dive. The divers then swapped third place finishes in those contests in another strong performance at their end of the pool.

UMass men’s coach Russ Yarworth said he would have liked to see a better overall result, but the loss to Brown did not show him anything worrisome.

“In swimming you don’t prepare specifically for each performance,” Yarworth said. “I like what I saw, I though Heath Maginn, Joe Woodman and Owen Wright all performed really well. There is nothing to be disappointed about.”

Not discouraged by the defeat, Yarworth left Providence liking the Minutemen’s chances next weekend when they finish up their fall season at the Terrier Invitational at Boston University.

“We followed our training cycle perfectly, their cycle should have them swimming at peak performance next weekend,” he said. “Next weekend is where our focus is now, we will see where we are as a team and I am expecting to see some outstanding swimming.”

Yarworth believes UMass has the mental makeup to be successful.

“They are mature and we have a very strong team culture, they know what they need to do next weekend and what it means,” Yarworth said.

Minutewomen record two first place finishes

In a matchup against an equally-talented Brown women’s swimming and divining team Saturday, the Minutewomen only secured two first place and three second place results.

Divers Emma Roush (252.60 points) and Katie Polk (260.55 points) each took home gold with Roush winning the 1-meter dive and Polk in the 3-meter dive as UMass swept both diving competitions.

Polk and Roush went on to alternate second place finishes in each dive and Julia Jagannath took third place in both the 1 and 3-meter dives.

In the pool, Cassie Sosnovich had the only top-two finish for the Minutewomen swimmers in the 100-yard butterfly where she earned second place (58.14 seconds). Sosnovich also added a third place finish in the 50-yard freestyle (24.38 seconds).

Despite the tough afternoon for his team, Minutewomen coach Bob Newcomb said he wasn’t too discouraged by the result at this point in the season.

“We got beaten up pretty badly as a team,” Newcomb said. “Yet I know the team has been very competitive in training the last two weeks and they have been practicing well. So it’s about focusing on what is next, which is the end of our fall season next weekend.”

Newcomb didn’t believe the lopsided loss would negatively impact UMass moving forward. .

“I don’t think it’s going to affect us at all,” he said. “Next weekend is a big gauge for how this training is going, they know what this weekend means and they are excited for it.”

Newcomb echoed Yarworth’s excitement for next weekend’s competition in Boston. As for how he plans to prepare the Minutewomen for this final meet of 2015, he said rest will be important to refuel the team.

“That’s what this week is all about, this time of year they have worked so hard outside the pool, in the weight room, and in the pool they have earned some rest,” he said.

UMass swimmers head to Boston University for the Terrier Inviational next weekend, as the diving teams compete in the Tennessee Diving Invitational Nov. 20-22.

Christopher Marino can be reached at [email protected].