Logic’s ‘The Incredible True Story’ is idiosyncratically triumphant

(Jorge Alverez/Flickr)
(Jorge Alverez/Flickr)

Maryland rapper Logic has truly made a triumphant return with his sophomore album “The Incredible True Story.”

Where his 2014 release, “Under Pressure,” was a gritty autobiographical coming of age story built upon experiences ranging from violent crime to his parents’ drug addictions, Logic’s new album takes a lighter approach, while still being grounded in lyricism and narrative.

The overarching story of “The Incredible True Story,” released Nov. 13, is that of two astronauts in the future, traveling through space in search of a planet known as Paradise. In this fictionalized future, humans have destroyed the Earth, and have been forced to live on a space station until a new home can be found. The songs on the album take place in between scenes of the astronauts on their exploration.

Musically, “The Incredible True Story” features extensive use of live instrumentation and back-up vocals over which Logic, whose given name is Robert Bryson Hall, seamlessly transitions from speed-rap to singing and back again. Producers include Logic himself, 6ix and C-sick.

The album as a whole has an uplifting and celebratory feel. The most striking element of the project’s sound is Logic’s experimentation with flow and delivery. The young lyricist demonstrates a remarkably unique, and versatile cadence. He constantly changes speed and tone, while never sounding phrenetic or unnatural.

He confidently glides over everything from backing choir vocals to 808-style drums. At times Logic is braggadocios, like on tracks such as “I Am the Greatest” and “Run It”. In other moments, he is more caring, and concerned with well being of others.       In “Innermission,” he reflects on such topics as being able to go back to specific moments in his life, like writing letters back and forth with an imprisoned friend or his dropping out of high school. More than anything though, he reflects on how lucky he is to have made it through his trials and tribulations and rise to fame.

Humor plays an important role in “The Incredible True Story,” resulting in many quotable lines from both the astronaut scenes and the songs themselves. In “The Cube (scene)” one of the space travelers informs the other that his ability to solve a Rubik’s Cube has made him very popular with the ladies, and that he would be willing to teach the skill to his colleague.

In the song “Young Jesus,” which features Big Lenbo, the two emcees both seem to be simply having fun over the up-tempo track. Logic utilizes a very thought provoking sense of humor, claiming “I’m a self diagnosed hypochondriac, either in the crib or in the tour bus is where you’ll find me at.”

Big Lenbo incorporates humor that veers off into the realm of absurdity when he raps, “Joe Pesci is my spirit animal.” The song is filled with Logic’s high-pitched ad-libs of “over here” and the spelling out of Big Lenbo’s name.

Fans will be delighted to know that the robotic narrator in “Under Pressure known as “Thalia” has returned in an upgraded version for Logic’s sophomore project. She is now capable of transforming her voice to replicate any figure in recorded history. In another humorous moment, rapper Big Sean’s voice is used to prove this new capability. Thalia goes on to act as an autopilot relaying information to the space travelers.

The bulk of the actual story in “The Incredible True Story” is told not in the songs themselves but in the scenes in between them. These scenes are perhaps some of the greatest album skits I have ever listened to. They provide context, depth, humor and countless other features to an album that is otherwise not content-driven.

While Logic is intellectual in his lyricism, he does not demonstrate the same type of conscious mastery that he showed on his debut. There is no epic, perspective-changing anthem such as the title track of “Under Pressure.” The songs themselves are memorable as well due to Logic’s exceptional, and ever changing flow, however, those who were looking for a sequel to “Under Pressure” will not find it here.

The album’s science fiction theme and quirky sense of cadence may also be off-putting to fans that prefer a more traditional, hard-hitting hip-hop style. There is not one song that stands out as a club hit or party anthem, and while there are moments of depth, the album doesn’t have a conscious hip-hop masterpiece either.

Overall it is the impressive use of skits that drive the literary end of the album, and Logic’s technical delivery – which strongly incorporates intricate rhythm and rhyme – that drives the musicality of the project.

Logic’s sophomore effort is unique in its sound and theme, and, while not perfect it demonstrates that he is one of the more creative and versatile emcees in rap today. It is humor, imagination and musical experimentation that make his story truly incredible.

Kenny Borges can be reached at [email protected].