Hockey East Notebook: UMass Lowell and Providence split home-and-home series

(Galatians Design/ Flickr)
(Galatians Design/ Flickr)

Hockey East leader UMass Lowell started its contest against Providence flat footed and would finish up the opening period of the contest down 3-0, getting outshot 16-7. The period dug a hole too deep to climb out of as, the River Hawks (15-5-4, 10-3-3 HEA) ultimately fell 4-2 last Friday at Schneider Arena.

Although by the conclusion of the contest UML outshot the Friars 35-31, it had no impact on the outcome as the eventual comeback fell two goals short. The Friars (16-4-4, 7-2-3 HEA) defense did enough to maintain the lead after their dominating first period.

Providence goalie Nick Ellis secured 33 saves in an impressive effort that saw him dominate all but the seven minutes between the end of the second and the start of the third period where the UML managed their two scores.

Defensemen Jake Walman starred for the Friars not only with his impressive defensive play, but also with his contributions on offense as he finished with both a goal and an assist in an effort that earned him the first star of the game from hockeyeast.com.

For the River Hawks, senior forward A.J. White contributed both of their goals within a seven-minute time span over the second and third period.

UMass Lowell takes back end of home-and-home

After falling 4-2 to Providence on the previous day, the River Hawks responded with a 3-1 victory over the Friars to split the weekend series and stay atop the Hockey East conference standings.

After Friday night featured plenty of scoring, neither side scored until half way through the second period in Saturday’s game as Brandon Tanev netted the first goal for Providence to take a 1-0 lead, but that’s where the similarities to the previous contest wrap up.

The River Hawks responded with three-unanswered goals to secure the victory. A large key to their success was a dominating third period where UML outshot the Friars 16 to 5.

Michael Kapla contributed both a goal and an assist to the winning effort including the go-ahead score with nine minutes remaining in the third period. Ryan Dmowski assisted the deciding goal while netting the third goal that put the game away with 5:18 remaining in the game.

Both teams get back to action next Friday at home as Providence welcomes New Hampshire while the River Hawks host Arizona State in a non-conference matchup

Notre Dame overwhelms New Hampshire to earn their 10th conference victory

The Fighting Irish had success early and often last Friday, scoring their first of five goals 3:12 into the contest in what would conclude as a lop sided 5-1 victory in the first of back-to-back wins against New Hampshire (8-12-4, 2-6-4 HEA) over the weekend.

In a dominating effort, Notre Dame (14-4-7, 10-1-2 HEA) outshot the struggling UNH squad 40-26 as they controlled the contest from start to finish, only allowing the lone Wildcat goal on a penalty shot in the final second of the second period.

Each team allowed four power play opportunities. But it was the Fighting Irish who showed the ability to take advantage of those opportunities allowed by UNH penalties, scoring on two of their four opportunities while the Wildcats went 0-4 on the man-advantage.

Mario Lucia notched his seventh and eighth goals of the season in a two-goal effort for Notre Dame, while sophomore Connor Hurley contributed a goal and an assist in the win.

Up next for Notre Dame is a visit from Boston College, while UNH heads to Providence.

Christopher Marino can be reached at [email protected].