Hockey East Notebook: UNH upsets No. 8 UMass Lowell

(Flickr/Galatians Design)
(Flickr/Galatians Design)

UNH upsets No. 8 UMass Lowell A third period rally from No. 8 UMass Lowell fell short, falling to New Hampshire 3-2 at the Tsongas Center in Lowell, with the Wildcats securing two much needed points in the conference. Despite the River Hawks’ (17-6-5, 10-4-4 Hockey East) dominating 45-16 shot advantage, the UNH’s (10-14-4, 4-8-4 HEA) three goals went unanswered until the third period, with goaltender Daniel Tirone making 43 saves in the victory. The Wildcats struck early with a goal from Andrew Poturalski, who put home Tyler Kelleher’s rebound just 30 seconds into the game for his 21st goal. The sophomore forward is currently tied with Boston College’s Colin White to lead all of Hockey East in both goals and points. UNH junior Jamie Hill set up Shane Eiserman in the slot for a one-timer halfway through the second period to make it 2-0, and at the 9:45 mark, Ara Nazarian fired a shot past UML goalie Kevin Boyle to secure the 3-0 lead. Less than thirty seconds later, the River Hawks responded to the scoring frenzy with one of their own, with Jake Kamrass finding the back of the net on a scramble out front to cut the lead to 3-1. A late goal from Nick Master at the 18:45 mark gave the River Hawks a glimmer of hope but despite an extra skater, UML was unable to make the full comeback. No. 10 Notre Dame sweeps Vermont at home Following Friday’s victory over Vermont, No. 10 Notre Dame notched back-to-back wins with a 3-1 victory on Saturday. The Fighting Irish (16-5-7, 12-2-2 HEA) extended their unbeaten streak on the road and moving them into a tie with Boston College for first place. Sophomore goalie Cal Petersen made 38 saves throughout the contest, improving his record to 26-5-7 this season. Fellow sophomore Jordon Gross saw a two-point night on defense, contributing two essential one-timer goals from the point. Striking first, Gross buried the first goal four minutes, 39 seconds into the game. His eighth goal of the season came from Connor Hurley off the draw. ND held the lead throughout a scoreless second period, highlighted by Peterson’s standout performance. Another blast from Gross at the point came halfway through the third period, and Jake Evans tipped the puck out front for the 2-0 Notre Dame lead. The Catamounts’ (11-16-2, 5-9-2 HEA) only goal came a few minutes later at the 13:36 mark when Anthony Petruzzelli got a piece of defenseman Alexx Privitera’s shot from the point, tipping it past Petersen. With less than two minutes remaining, UVM pulled its goaltender, allowing for a final empty-net goal from Fighting Irish senior Sam Herr. Merrimack, UConn battle to 2-2 tie Despite a season-high 45 shots on goal, Merrimack failed to finish off Connecticut in a 2-2 overtime battle at Lawler Rink. An outstanding performance in between the pipes from the Huskies’ (9-15-4, 4-8-4 HEA) sophomore goaltender Tanner Creel kept the Huskies in the game. UConn defenseman Joona Kunnas sent the first goal in from the point 12 minutes, four seconds into the game for his first of the season. With plenty of scoring opportunities, the Warriors (8-14-6, 2-8-6 HEA) fired 15 shots on Creel in the second period, but the Huskies held on to the lead into the final 20 minutes. Merrimack continued to outshoot the Huskies 18-5 in the third, getting on the board two minutes, 50 seconds in when Warriors’ Brett Seney connected with Jace Hennig, who sent a one-timer past Creel. UConn freshman Max Letunov responded at the 14:17 mark, putting home a rebound off a Max Kalter shot for his 15th of the season. Merrimack responded with less than a minute left in regulation time after Brian Christie one-timed a pass out front from Hampus Gustafsson to tie the game.

Kelley Dillon is a Collegian correspondent and can be reached at [email protected].