Amherst hires new interim town manager

(Daily Collegian Photo Archive)
(Daily Collegian Photo Archive)

The town’s five-member select board hired Hechenbleikner after David Ziomek, the current assistant town manager, decided not to continue as the interim town manager. He took on the position immediately after the death of Town Manager John Musante on Sept. 20, 2015.

Hechenbleikner was the town manager in Reading for 27 years. After retiring, he held multiple town government positions, including interim town administrator in Norwell from January to June 2015.

“I am one of those people that just has a passion for local government,” he said. “I never intended or wanted to completely get out of the business.”

Hechenbleikner and current Fairhaven Town Administrator Mark Rees were the two finalists for the position, said Alisa Brewer, chair of the select board.

The board started its negotiations with Rees with the understanding that Hechenbleikner would be selected if negotiations failed, said Brewer.

“We thought they were both really well-qualified,” she said. “I think the only difference came down to my concern that (Rees) was looking for a full-time job.”

Rees was offered the job in Fairhaven during negotiations with the board. Hechenbleiker “luckily” was still available, Brewer said.

The board examined the time that applicants had to devote to Amherst and their skill level, she said. The board members considered internal candidates, including Ziomek, before outside applicants. The board also wanted to give members of the town government community time to heal from the loss of Musante, she said.

Ziomek said that the demands the job placed on he and his family were too much for him to continue in the position.

Ziomek was part of the Interim Town Manager Preliminary Screening Committee, the group that interviewed Hechenbleikner.

“I think [Hechenbleikner] brings a tremendous amount of experience and a broad skill set to the job,” Ziomek said.

The search for a temporary replacement, which is a less formal process than looking for a permanent town manager,  took a couple of weeks in late autumn 2015, she said.  The board ended up with a small applicant pool, as the number of people who are interested in a temporary professional position in Western Massachusetts is low, she said.

“This is somebody we believe has the skills to fill in gaps while we’re waiting for the next town manager,” she said. Brewer described the role of a temporary town manager as more of a “caretaker” position.

“It’s a good situation. For some people, it’s easier to come in and clean up a mess. That’s not what we’re looking for,” she said.

Claire McGinnis, the treasurer and collector for the town, said she feels “very positive” about Hechenbleikner’s appointment.

“I have every confidence that he can steer our ship for the next three to six months,” she said.

Hechenbleikner said that he will complete essential tasks expected of the permanent role, including supporting the select board and preparing the warrant (agenda) for town meetings.

The town manager has authority over the entire municipal budget, as well as the hiring and supervising of 250 town employees in all departments, said Ziomek. He or she works closely with the select board in setting priorities for the town and must be able to communicate budget constraints effectively, according to Brewer.

Hechenbleikner will explain the town’s upcoming major capital projects, including the need to renovate Wildwood Elementary School and the desire to move the Amherst Fire Station away from downtown, Brewer said.

Hechenbleikner does not plan on taking on large projects during his tenure.

“I don’t want to start something when my involvement is not going to be productive,” he said.

He will consider how the town might improve how it works, based on his prior experience in town government. He began a memo for the incoming town manager which will detail his observations and suggested changes.

“He can give us a fresh set of eyes,” said Brewer.

The board has started its search for the permanent town manager, and has appointed a recruiter, Bernard Lynch, who will put together a profile of the ideal candidate, based on feedback from staff and community meetings.

The board will appoint a screening committee to conduct preliminary interviews with candidates in a closed session and recommend candidates to the select board. The board hopes to have the new town manager start between late spring and late summer, depending on the situation with his or her current position, she said.

Patricia LeBoeuf can be reached at [email protected]