Rihanna makes her biggest artistic statement on ‘Anti’

(Eva Rinaldi/Flickr)
(Eva Rinaldi/Flickr)

Rihanna was not an album-tailored artist. Until now.

One of the most famous and relevant women in the world, Rihanna has always been known for her singles rather than complete cohesive albums. Having released an album every year for seven consecutive years, the singles were always the highlights of what were usually very incohesive bodies of work– three smash hits surrounded by filler. “Anti” changes all that. Other than the track “Work,” featuring Drake, this is an album devoid of anything resembling a radio hit. Rihanna wants to be taken more seriously as an artist, not just a pop star.

Clocking in at a short 43 minutes, “Anti” is a dark, brooding epic that can’t be classified in a single genre. The record includes “Work” (a dancehall-influenced jam), “Woo,” which taps into a Yeezus-esque sound, and a cover of Tame Impala’s “New Friends, Same Old Mistakes.” Usually when an album lacks a strong cohesive feel, it’s a death sentence, but in Rihanna’s case, it works to her advantage. At this stage in her career, Rihanna momentously needs to display a form of versatility and a sense of purpose in her music.

For most of her reign, Rihanna didn’t write the majority of her hits and has essentially been an industry machine. This time around, you get the sense that she was involved in every step of the process and put in the effort to make this body of work indistinguishably hers. Rihanna’s name is credited on every song’s lyrics, and it shows. This is the album she’s been waiting her whole life to make.

All the individuality in the world does not necessarily constitute a good album. But Rihanna undoubtedly succeeded. “Anti” is miles ahead, in terms of quality, of any other previous releases. For the first time, Rihanna actually imbues a narrative arc through the entire record, showcasing a lonely woman in need of attention and affection. “Anti,” like the self-titled “Beyoncé,” explores inner ruminations and casts its main character in a humble and down-to-earth role that serves to make the music more compelling.

In spite of Rihanna being one of the most popular women on the planet, this album serves to lower the pedestal she’s been standing on and makes her seem like a normal person. She drunk-calls a boy in “Higher,” craves attention in the frustratingly short “James Joint,” and even snarls “Didn’t they tell you I’m a savage?” in the grimy DJ Mustard- produced “Needed Me.” The arc running through this album portrays Rihanna’s multi-faceted personality and how she can go from ruthless to lonely at the drop of a hat. Undoubtedly, this is the clearest look we’ve ever had into Rihanna’s world.

The question everyone is asking is, was “Anti” worth the three-year wait and the constant album delays? The answer is a resounding yes. “Anti” is the best album Rihanna has ever released. It was made for her, not the radio. While this will disappoint many longtime fans, any lover of good music will appreciate the direction she took. Even those who usually find Rihanna’s pop singles insufferable, this album is definitely a recommended listen.

Kunal Khunger can be reached at [email protected].