Spring Sports Special Issue 2016

Randy Crandon/Daily Collegian)
(Randy Crandon/Daily Collegian)

Baseball

UMass baseball ready to improve on .500 finish in A-10 play with balance of returning veterans and young talent — Kyle DaLuz
The Minutemen were selected to finish 11th in the preseason A-10 polls after missing out on the conference tournament in 2015.

Dual threat: UMass baseball pitcher and first baseman Mike Geannelis looks to lead the way in 2016 — Adam Aucoin
Mike Geannelis is expected to succeed on the mound and at the plate in the middle of the order for the Minutemen this season.

John Jennings ready to bounce back for UMass baseball after injury-filled 2015 campaign — Tyler Fiedler
Jennings, one of the Minutemen’s new captains, sat out 25 games in 2015 after being sidelined with a torn hamstring.

UMass baseball’s outfield takes a new look entering season — Tom Mulherin
Familiar faces will fill the roles left open in the outfield after the graduation of both Kyle Adie and Adam Picard.

Women’s lacrosse

Angela McMahon, returning stars look to continue era of excellence for UMass women’s lacrosse — Henry Brechter
The Minutewomen look to continue their dominance in the Atlantic 10 during 2016 season, as they are currently riding a 48-game winning streak in conference play.

UMass women’s lacrosse reloads with four new transfer players to start season — Nick Souza
The Minutewomen prepare for another promising year with four new additions from Boston College, Cincinnati and Florida.

UMass women’s lacrosse team loaded with talented, experienced players looks to continue success in 2016 — Thomas Johnston
The Minutewomen return two top scorers from last season and three starters to its talented defensive core for 2016 season.

Men’s lacrosse

Kates: Defense will be key to success for UMass men’s lacrosse — Jason Kates
With three senior defensemen, the Minutemen will look to its defense to lead them to pave the way in 2016.

Softball

UMass softball looks for different players to step up in 2016 — Sam Pollack
Seniors Taylor Carbone and Lindsey Zenk and rookie Kaitlyn Stavinoha each showed promise over the Minutewomen’s opening weekend.

UMass softball opens season with three losses in Charlotte First Pitch Classic — Zander Manning
The Minutewomen will play a total of five tournament before Atlantic 10 play starts at the end of March.

UMass softball still searching for its ace in 2016 — Zach Larkin
The Minutewomen are looking for one of their top pitchers to establish themselves as a No. 1 starter early in the season with the departure of Caroline Raymond.

Tennis

The final chapter: Judy Dixon celebrates coaching career with UMass tennis — Christopher Martinez
Although Dixon doesn’t know definitely if this will be her final season coaching, the Minutewomen still remained focus on winning an Atlantic 10 championship.