Amherst Police Log: Feb. 19-21

(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)
(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)

Friday, Feb. 19:

8:02 a.m.: Police responded to a complaint at 13 Railroad St. of suspicious activity around a small shack near the train tracks. Officers opened up the building and discovered that local homeless have been using the shack for storage of blankets, clothes and “other items.” Officers informed representatives from Amtrak, who owns the property.

8:05 a.m.: A resident at 29 Hitchcock Rd. called officers to investigate and breaking and entering. Officers discovered the garage door was left unlocked and someone had smashed the back windshield of a Volkswagen parked there. The perpetrator did not take any items from the vehicle.

9:15 a.m.: A man received a court summons for providing a fraudulent prescription to the pharmacist working at the CVS at 76 North Pleasant St. The man had been turned away earlier that morning for altering the date on an expired prescription. The pharmacist called police when he returned attempting to fill the same prescription.

12:46 p.m.: Someone stole loose change from an unlocked car in front of 100 Woodside Ave. Police are investigating.

4:44 p.m.: Police received a call about suspicious vehicles parked next to each other in front of 122 Logtown Road. The caller reported seeing two college-aged males lying down in the backseat. Officers investigated and found that the two men were napping while they waited to meet up with their landlord.

11:18 p.m.: Someone set a dumpster on fire near 51 Hobart Lane. Amherst Fire Department quickly extinguished the flames.

11:32 p.m.: Cullen Driscoll, 18, of Peabody was arrested for resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and assault and battery on a police officer. A female officer was on bus duty when she noticed a man rolling around on the sidewalk in front of the Pray Street bus stop. The officer approached Driscoll to do a well-being check who then allegedly yelled an obscenity at the officer and punched her in the face.

11:35 p.m.: Six officers responded to a call at 104 Belchertown Road for a large party that hosted a D.J. and approximately 200 guests. Officers arrested eight men, seven of whom are UMass students, for a nuisance house and unlawful noise bylaw violations. Three of the men were also charged with under possession of alcohol.

11:37 p.m.: Officers issued a young man a courts summons for disorderly conduct after they received a call regarding a suspicious person standing in front of bus stop at 995 North Pleasant St. Officers witnessed the man swear and throw a beer can at a passing bus.

Saturday, Feb. 20:

12:59 a.m.: A resident at 219 Amity St. Apt No. 2 called police to assist with dispersing a party at that location. When officers arrived, an occupant informed them that her roommate had called because she was upset that the woman her boyfriend had an affair with was present. Officers cleared out the party.

4:40 p.m.: Officers confiscated two beers and issued a warning to man whom they witnessed urinating on the side of Apt. No. 95 in the Townhouse Apartment Complex.

6:21 p.m.: A woman at 81 Belchertown Road reported a breaking and entering and believed she knew the culprit. The man in question was staying at an apartment a few doors down. He informed officers he climbed through the window to retrieve his backpack and would pay for the window he broke.

7:17 p.m.: A woman received a court summons after an employee at Spirit Haus liquors confiscated her fake ID and called police.

10:46 p.m.: Police arrested Erica Wheeler-Perkins, 52, of Belchertown for an OUI, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, assault and possession of Lorazepam and Doxepin Chloride. Wheeler-Perkins was pulled over for a marked lanes violation and brought to the station after officers determined she was intoxicated. During the booking process she struck one of the officers.

11:14 p.m.: A man damaged the bathroom at the Subway on 4 Main St. He also stole multiple bags of chips on the way out. An employee described him as a white male in a plaid shirt who had blood all over his face.

Sunday, Feb. 21:

1:22 a.m.: Officers broke up a fight between two intoxicated men outside of Antonio’s Pizza. The altercation began while the two were waiting in line to buy pizza. They were ordered away from the location.

1:31 a.m.: Police received a call from a distressed and intoxicated woman who claimed a man had struck her in the face. She could not provide police with her location. Officers finally learned she was in front of an apartment in the Colonial Village. A resident at the address said the woman was upset because someone hit her in the face with a dead squirrel.

2:58 p.m.: A white male wearing a black jacket and beanie stole five iced teas from the CVS at 76 North Pleasant St.

6:35 p.m.: A woman identified as “Darbie” called police to Cousin’s Market on North Pleasant Street claiming that an employee failed to turn over all the items she paid for. “Darbie” purchased liquor and ginger ale but claimed she did not receive the Newport Reds she purchased. The clerk showed an officer surveillance footage that proved he did in fact give “Darbie” her cigarettes. Upon viewing the footage, Darbie ran from the store upset.

Brendan Deady can be reached at [email protected].