Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

Past and present UMass football players participate in 2017 Pro Day Thursday -

Pat Kelsey reportedly backs down from UMass men’s basketball coaching position -

Students react to new fence around Townehouses -

‘Do You Have The Right To Do Drugs?’ debate held in Bowker Auditorium -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to build on three-game winning streak against Brown -

UMass softball riding five-game win streak into first Atlantic 10 showdown -

Sanzo: Inability to win close games has hurt UMass baseball -

Hannah Murphy scores 100th career goal in UMass women’s lacrosse 16-9 win over Harvard -

Old age does no harm to indie rock legends The Feelies -

A track-by-track breakdown of Drake’s new project -

When a president lies -

Let them eat steak, and other gender norms I hate -

Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Tyler Bogart and D.J. Smith lead UMass men’s lacrosse during three game win streak -

UMass women’s lacrosse emphasizes defense in approaching games as its key to gaining momentum for conference play -

SGA Secretary of Diversity wants to see campus community ‘evolve’ in the face of racial and ethnic hatred

(Katherine Mayo/ Daily Collegian)

(Katherine Mayo/ Daily Collegian)

Khalif Nunnally-Rivera, Student Government Association Secretary of Diversity and junior studying geography at the University of Massachusetts, said the campus has always dealt with issues of racial hatred in reference to recent acts of racial/ethnic vandalism.

“It’s just a continuous issue. I feel like it needs constant work,” he said. “There’s no one solution that’s going to fit everything. It’s something we’ve always struggled with.”

According to Nunnally-Rivera, “We just have to evolve … we need to change the environment.”

Nunnally-Rivera said he joined the SGA in this positon because of his passion for social issues and justice.

“I wanted to be in a position where I could have a positive effect and be able to come up with policies that help students of color and marginalized students on campus,” he explained.

Last week, the Daily Collegian published a story on the three swastikas found on campus and other instances of racial/ethnic vandalism in recent years, calling it a trend.

Nunnally-Rivera disagreed with that title: “I don’t think it’s a trend so much as it just shows the atmosphere of our campus that we are not as inclusive as we make ourselves out to be,” he said. “The idea that we’re considered a liberal college – I think that that throws people off, thinking that we don’t have issues that we need to work on ourselves.”

Leykia Brill, assistant provost for diversity at UMass, also questioned whether or not these acts constitute a trend. In an email to the Daily Collegian she wrote, “I don’t know if this sort of act is a growing trend, per se- I haven’t done the research to know how we compare to other schools. I can say that it happens on campuses all across the country, however. I can also say that these sorts of things have been happening for decades.”

Both Brill and Nunnally-Rivera said the administration is doing work to improve the climate on campus.

Nunnally-Rivera is an ex-officio member on the Diversity Steering Committee with other members of the SGA and administration, where he works with the committee and advises them on special projects. He evaluates the Diversity Strategic Plan as part of his work with the Diversity Steering Committee and the Social Justice and Empowerment committee.

“We’re looking at ways the University will implement that plan, ways we can improve upon it, and also just the execution of that plan in general,” he said.

Nunnally-Rivera also wants to see the SGA step up its role in raising awareness and finding solutions to these issues. He pointed out that the organization was not as involved in the mobilization against racism that took place on campus after racial slurs were written on the door of then-SGA Diversity Secretary Josh Odam’s door.

“It’s in our by-laws, it should be in our values to create a community that’s inclusive, that calls out acts of hatred,” Nunnally-Rivera said.

“I feel that we should always be working to study these social issues, mitigating the effects of racial hatred and then when they do happen, we (should) have a swift and decisive response – no matter who is in power,” he added.

Nunnally-Rivera is reaching out to different groups on campus to discuss diversity, saying he wants to “get their take on what’s going on. And actually have people’s voices represented.”

“Oppression doesn’t really show itself how it (used to) anymore, not in the ways that people are familiar with,” he said. “So it’s up to people to educate themselves on actions that could be considered oppressive and calling them out when they see them.”

Marie MacCune can be reached at mmaccune@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MarieMacCune.

One Response to “SGA Secretary of Diversity wants to see campus community ‘evolve’ in the face of racial and ethnic hatred”
  1. Zac Bears says:

These racist acts are not a trend. If anything, the refusal to accept racism any longer and the consequent coverage of protests and other anti-racist actions are finally bringing the prevalence of racism on the UMass campus into view. Students must keep bringing attention to the everyday racism perpetrated by UMass students, and students, administrators, and faculty must continue to develop newer, stronger policies to challenge pervasive whiteness on-campus.