Amherst Police Log: Feb. 26-28

(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)
(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)

Police Log: Feb. 26 to Feb. 28

Friday, Feb. 26:
9:52 a.m.:  A man left his five-year-old daughter behind at the Goodwill store at 183 University Dr. After repeated attempts to reach the man, he was finally located. He told police he had forgotten that he brought the child with him.

11:05 a.m.: Devin Reade, 35, of Colrain, was arrested for breaking and entering in the daytime at 55 Pokeberry Rdg. A real estate agent entered the vacant address earlier in the day for a showing. Upon entry, the agent discovered Reade sleeping on the couch and called police.

2:59 p.m.: A caller at 1040 North Pleasant St. reported hearing a single gunshot coming from the field in the back of the location. The reporting party did not witness anyone with a gun. Police found nothing.

6:26 p.m.: A man living on the streets of Amherst received a court summons for failing to register as a sex offender.

6:49 p.m.: A man called police claiming an intruder named Carlito was present in his mother’s home. When police arrived at 33 Kellogg Ave., the woman informed officers Carlito was a guest. Carlito accompanied her to the door draped in a sheet, as he did not have any clothes on.

Saturday, Feb. 27:

12:20 a.m.: Officers arrested three people at 24 Summer St. for resisting arrest, two received assault and battery charges on a police officer and a fourth person was arrested for unlawful noise. Dennis Trujillo, 22, Jensen Gauthier, 21, and Bailey Smith, 21, received charges of resisting arrest. Smith and Gauthier were charged with assault and battery on a police officer after each tried to interfere when officers attempted to arrest their friend.

1:33 a.m.:  Police cleared out a large party at 35 Tamarack Dr. after a neighbor reported a group of college age individuals ringing doorbells and knocking over mailboxes along the street.

3:56 p.m.: Police issued a no trespass order to two juveniles after they were caught shoplifting ice cream, honey buns and potato chips. Police also found and disposed of a small amount of marijuana found on each person.

Sunday, Feb. 28:
3:49 a.m.:  A man heard a loud bang outside after entering his residence at 985 North Pleasant St. He walked outside to discover that someone had thrown a potted plant at his car, smashing its windshield.

11:31 a.m.: A clerk at the CVS at 165 University Dr. reported that a black male in his early 20s used a counterfeit $100 bill. The employee stated the same man has used counterfeit bills in the past and informed police which vehicle the party left in.

12:55 p.m.: Police arrested Justin Lewis, 21, of Brooklyn, New York, and Abdoulaye Sanogo, 19, of Jamaica, New York. Sanogo, an Amherst College student, has been reportedly exchanging counterfeit bills at various stores in the area and was the male reported earlier in the day. A clerk at the CVS at 165 University Dr. previously reported a male in his early 20s used a counterfeit $100 bill at 11:31 a.m., and had used counterfeit bills in the past.

Police noticed the vehicle described by the CVS clerk, followed the driver and staked out the car near Amherst College’s campus. Police eventually arrested the two men and confiscated over a $1000 in real cash believed to have been obtained by swapping counterfeit bills.

8:14 p.m.: A black cow ran into the side of a motor vehicle at 1581 South East St. The operator of the vehicle, and the cow, did not have any injuries. The owner of the cow and the motor vehicle exchanged insurance information.

10:04 p.m.: A man called police to the Boulder Apartments on East Hadley Road for a possible vandalism incident. Police discovered that someone had thrown feces into his laundry while the machine ran. Officers contacted maintenance and suggested they replace the machine. Police have no suspects.

Brendan Deady can be reached at [email protected] and followed on twitter @bdeady26.