UMass hockey falls to No. 9 Boston University 2-1 in OT in Hockey East playoffs

24476580179_4a98dc661d_k
(Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian)

One year ago, the Massachusetts hockey team defeated Notre Dame 4-3 in five overtimes in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs, the longest game in NCAA history.

On Friday night against No. 9 Boston University, the Minutemen were on the other end, falling 2-1 to the Terriers in OT in game one of the best-of-three series.

BU (20-10-5, 12-6-4 HEA) freshman Bobo Carpenter scored his second goal of the night with 10 minutes, 26 seconds left in the extra frame to put UMass (8-23-4, 2-16-4 HEA) in a do-or-die situation Saturday night in game two.

Minutemen coach John Micheletto said he was happy with the effort his team showed in the defeat.

“Pretty good college hockey game from our standpoint. I thought we had a good game plan, good execution and had our opportunities,” he said to reporters after the game. “Sean (Maguire) made some good saves, particularly there in overtime as well, and didn’t get the benefit of some replay situations. Ultimately it’s a 2-1 Hockey East playoff game, just like everyone would expect.”

The Minutemen struck first, scoring 8:07 into the game on a goal from junior captain Steven Iacobellis on assists from Shane Walsh and Ray Pigozzi. It was Pigozzi’s 10th point in 11 games, nine of which have come off assists.

Iacobellis, who now has three straight 20-point seasons with UMass, said there’s nothing for the team to hang their heads about.

“It was one hell of a hockey game, that’s for sure,” Iacobellis said. “We played a strong 60 plus, and every guys stepped up, it was just an unfortunate result.”

“We had a lot of big chances, definitely grade-A chances, unfortunately Maguire had an unbelievable game,” Iacobellis added. “I think we were able to get those chances because of our forecheck and we really stuck to the game plan.”

Maguire made 28 saves in the win, six of which coming in the extra period.

Micheletto echoed Iacobellis’ thoughts.

“I thought we played on our toes most of the night, there’s probably as in any game ebbs and flows, but especially being the road team you have to push through those times,” Micheletto said. “I think in the middle part of the third we probably were a little less aggressive and we talked about it at the end of regulation and our guys came out and wanted to try and win it in the first five and really put some pressure on and I thought we jumped out pretty good.”

After the Minutemen took the one-goal advantage into the second period, Carpenter scored his first goal for the Terriers with 17:08 into the period, just 15 seconds after a UMass power play had expired.

A standout performance from freshman goaltender Nic Renyard kept the Minutemen in the game, making a career-high 46 saves in a losing effort.

Iacobellis praised Renyard’s efforts in between the pipes.

“We’re super happy for him, but obviously a little upset for him as well, not getting him the win,” Iacobellis said. “It was very unfortunate and I feel for him, but he had one hell of a game. He stayed with it to the very last second and honestly, there’s not much more you can ask out of him or any goaltender. He made some big timely saves and kept us in the game.”

With the Minutemen’s season on the line, both Micheletto and Iacobellis are anxious to get back out on the ice and force a decisive game three.

“I think our guys are eager to show that we have a lot of faith in who we are as a team and the guys that are in that room and what we’re trying to accomplish,” Micheletto said. “I like where our guys are right now so I’m eager to get back out here at 7 o’clock tomorrow and drop the puck again.”

“I think we try and take the positives from every single game, and from tonight there’s any abundance of positives that you can take. We did a lot of things real well, and we know we’re still alive, so we’re just looking forward to tomorrow,” Iacobellis added.

Puck drop for game two is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Agganis Arena.

Jason Kates can be reached at [email protected] and followed @JKates1216.