The 1975 is reborn in all aspects on newest album

(Courtesy of The 1975 Official Facebook Page)

English alternative band The 1975 is known for its visually dark presentation yet upbeat and electric musical style. Its album, “The 1975,” released in 2013, displayed a black and white theme with rock-oriented tracks that didn’t match the melancholy display. But the group’s newest piece of work, “I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It,” seems to do the opposite. The album cover is almost identical to the previous, except for its black pigment replaced with a light shade of pink.

The new aesthetic coincides impeccably with the musicality of this collection of tracks. Unlike the alternative-rock feel of “The 1975,” “I Like It When You Sleep” includes a majority of songs that are mellow and filled with profound passion. With this, the lyrical presence that The 1975 provides listeners is devoted to a variety of topics that were not focused on in its previous work.

Several tracks on the album fit into the typical category of popular music in terms of lyrics and meaning. “A Change of Heart” and “Somebody Else” appeals to the listener dealing with heartbreak and jealousy. “She’s American” playfully addresses a stereotype towards American women from the perspective of an English man. Along with these, “Love Me,” “The Sound” and “This Must Be My Dream” are exactly what any fan would expect. These examples possess the same funky sound listeners were given in “The 1975” and what the group is typically known for. The remaining tracks are heavier and depict an entirely different aura.

“If I Believe You,” the sixth track on the album, begins with the compelling lyric “I’ve got a God-shaped hole that’s infected,” alluding to the fact that the individual does not feel wholly connected to religion or any type of a God. The song continues with a sort of plea for an answer and an element of strength with “I’m broken and bleeding, and begging for help.” “If I Believe You” is an immensely powerful piece that focuses on an inner issue that is not commonly brought up in music.

Although not evident at first, the third track “UGH!” is centered on addiction and drug abuse. Lines like, “the kick won’t last for long” and “I’m not giving it up” make the meaning obvious. The issue of addiction is portrayed as almost fun through the quirky and energetic sound that The 1975 seems to favor.

The final track on “I Like It When You Sleep” is “She Lays Down.” The piece features a sole Matt Healy, the band’s lead singer, with a raw and acoustic sound. We can assume that the piece is about a troubled mother from the line “Even though her sun is gone she’d like to love her child nevertheless.” As the track progresses, it’s understood that listeners are given yet another heavy subject matter disguised by a delicate musical ambience. The song is dedicated to a mother’s postnatal depression, which is hinted at through the lyric “She’s appalled by not loving me at all.”

Whether you prefer the band’s previous aesthetic or are simply a new listener, The 1975’s “I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It” is not one to disappoint. Fans are not deprived of the alternative-rock sound featured in the group’s first compilation, but are instead given an additional soft sound that is entirely fresh. This newfound vibrant physicality, alluring sound and complex lyricism gives the group far more substance and has accelerated them into a rebirth.

Lauren Crociati can be reached at [email protected].