An open letter to the students of UMass -

Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

Past and present UMass football players participate in 2017 Pro Day Thursday -

Pat Kelsey reportedly backs down from UMass men’s basketball coaching position -

Students react to new fence around Townehouses -

‘Do You Have The Right To Do Drugs?’ debate held in Bowker Auditorium -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to build on three-game winning streak against Brown -

UMass softball riding five-game win streak into first Atlantic 10 showdown -

Sanzo: Inability to win close games has hurt UMass baseball -

Hannah Murphy scores 100th career goal in UMass women’s lacrosse 16-9 win over Harvard -

Old age does no harm to indie rock legends The Feelies -

A track-by-track breakdown of Drake’s new project -

When a president lies -

Let them eat steak, and other gender norms I hate -

Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Tyler Bogart and D.J. Smith lead UMass men’s lacrosse during three game win streak -

Letter: ‘Division’ review is appalling and embarrassing

Tom Clancys The Division Facebook page

Tom Clancy’s ‘The Division’ (Facebook)

Dear editor,

The terrible review of Tom Clancy’s The Division in Monday’s Daily Collegian reflects extremely poorly on the author issuing the review, and The Daily Collegian. A retraction should be issued, and so should apologies – one to readers for allowing such poor content to be printed, and also another to video gamers insulted with Nate’s stereotypes.

Upon reading Nate Taskin’s review of The Division, the only information the reader gains is what Nate’s political views are, and how he despises the (arguably realistic) environment and results of a fictional post-apocalyptic world. Instead of informing us about the gameplay, he launches into political grandstanding and labeling any aspect he does not like with misused words like facism, fetishizing, and genocide. For a person who seems to eschew inequality and hatred, he is also quick to incorrectly label and stereotype video gamers as unable to think critically.

To call this a video game review is wrong. Nowhere does he mention the quality of graphics, replay ability, game mechanics and multiplayer. This printing is so far from the bounds of a typical review, I thought I was reading a political op-ed. There are a few sentences that describe the premise of the story, and one sentence that vaguely mentions the ability to upgrade gear.

For all his arguments on art, he seems to have missed the point of First Person Shooters – to gauge your reaction time, dexterity and immediate ability to form an execute plans.

In my opinion, the editor-in-chief (Mark Chiarelli) of this paper, as well as the reviewer (Nate) should both be fired from their positions for cause immediately – Nate for being unable to write a review, and the editor-in-chief for publishing that hogwash which demonstrates an inability to uphold journalistic and editorial standards.
Casey Tylek
11 Responses to “Letter: ‘Division’ review is appalling and embarrassing”
  1. Allan says:

Clearly Mr. Tylek is the one who needs to have his ability to spread disgusting hate speech like this removed, not Nate. This type of repugnant and hateful rhetoric comes as no surprise from defenders of white male dominated violent video game culture. Next this man will be talking about how we should all vote for Doland Drumpf.

hate speech is not free speech, and I hope the collegian does the right thing and does not allow this type of opinion a soapboax to stand on in the future

2. Academia says:

I mean…I agree with you that it was a terrible review and that Nate projected his political views onto his poor interpretation of the game. It wasn’t journalism…we get it.

Do you really have to call for the immediate termination of Nate and the editor at the paper? Let’s be honest here, a college paper is for exploration in writing techniques and PRACTICE in journalism. Although the Daily Collegian should strive to publish important and relevant news and opinions, sometimes students fail. Let these people learn from their mistakes and work to do a better job first before you hand out judgement.

An apology to insulted video gamers? Get real.

3. Rob says:

Allan, just because someone disagrees with a liberal point of view, does not make it hate speech.

4. Roderick says:

I love how you decry Taskin for his “anti-gamer bias” and then you refer to The Division as a first person shooter… even though it’s a THIRD person shooter. Who’s the fake gamer here?

Anyway, I thought the review was an intelligent and thoughtful critique of a lousy game. You seem upset that the review is an expression of the author’s opinions and not your own.Grow up and accept that people will disagree with you.

5. Jessica says:

Well somebody’s had their feelings hurt. Quite frankly, I find it ridiculous that you don’t understand the concept of an “opinion.” Clearly time and time again Nate has shown that he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to plot and story lines, but goodness forbid you don’t agree with what he says. People don’t write reviews to make people happy, they write reviews to let people know what they think and why. You and your other “insulted video gamers” need to pull up their big boy pants and get over it. On top of that, who exactly are you to claim what a “realistic” post-apocolyptic world is like? Unless you’re a psychic, I think that’s a bit of a ridiculous claim. If you are this bent out of shape that a writer doesn’t like the video game you play, I think you clearly need to reassess your life.

6. Kyael says:

An opinion was shared, if you disagree then say something else but don’t attack the author, talk about the game. Everyone is entitled to what they played and saw and honestly even from a very casual glance I see things similarly to Nate. Even though it is a shooter it is very samey in thag all you do is maim and kill, level up and kill, learn new ways to kill…and kill. The Last of Us was a game set in an apocalyptic setting that encourage brutality in ideals of self defence, abd oftentimes displayed the contrast with its violence with genuine and heartfelt storytelling that stood on heavy themes of humanity. The Division depersonalizes everybody to a target, the reticle is a constant reminder of that. Totally fetishes the idea of mercenaries, thus PMCs and militarial industrial conplexes. Don’t be mad someone couldn’t make you feel fuzzy and validate your purchase.

7. Kris says:

Come on kid, don’t stoop to the level of demanding people lose their jobs. It makes you no better than the crybabies who declare everything they don’t agree with to be hate speech.

8. rachel says:

Video games are video games, II don’t want to hear about politics or have politics involved in every area, everywhere, in everything. Video games should remain video games. Fun,entertaining.

9. artin says:

1:his review was bad.
    2:he should not be fired
    3:allan stop sounding like a stereotype of college student activist. you make us look bad.

10. lol says:

actually SC ruled that no hate speech exception exist in the first amendment.
    so much for a college education.

11. Mauer says:

Casey’s points are all valid