10th annual UMass UDance to be held April 2

(Collegian File Photo)

The 10th annual University of Massachusetts UDance, a 10-hour dance marathon to raise money for the Baystate Children’s Hospital in Springfield, will be held on April 2 from noon to 10 p.m. in the Curry Hicks Cage.

The campus group UMass For The Kids organizes UDance in conjunction with the Miracle Network, who held the event for the first time in 2006. All of the money donated goes straight to the hospital in order to enhance the facility, purchase new equipment and pay for the healthcare professionals who work at the facility and care for the children.

Last year, the event raised $65,000, its highest amount yet. The goal for this year’s UDance is $100,000.

The registration fee for the event is $15 and there is a $50 fundraising minimum in order to attend. Registration will include a free T-shirt and meals, as well as access to all activities being held. Students can register for the event alone or with a team.

Haley Hohensee, on-campus recruitment co-chair for FTK, said that there will be a number of different activities happening during the 10-hour marathon.

“An opening ceremony to kick things off, numerous dance performances and interactive activities with the miracle kids are some of the things to expect,” Hohensee said.

Hohensee also said that this year, FTK is expecting a large turnout. Hohensee has been involved in UDance in previous years and said her team is working hard to make the 10th anniversary the best one yet.

“The FTK team has made an effort to reach out to every (registered student organization) on campus to increase involvement,” Hohensee said.

Hohensee said FTK has also reached out to the Greek community, and expects a large Greek presence at the event.

Students can register to participate in the event up until 11:45 p.m. on Friday, April 1.

Jessica Valeriani can be reached at [email protected].