Eight great first date movies

d
(Max Rockatansky/Morning Wood)

By Whine Ancheese

Movie first dates are the best first dates: You get to sit in a dark room next to someone you’re just getting to know, stare at a giant glowing screen and not talk to each other for an average of two hours. But sitting in your home or dorm and watching a good movie with someone you might fall in love with can sometimes be as great as a romantic trip to the multiplex.

Spring is here and the weather is brightening by the day, and there’s no better way to embrace the change of season than by staying indoors to bond over great filmmaking. With that in mind, here are eight great first date movies to ease the awkwardness and help make the sparks fly between you and your crush.

“The Wolf of Wall Street”

Director Martin Scorsese’s three-hour romp through and critique of the Wall Street world of stock fraud, Quaaludes and chaos is enough to give anyone butterflies. Loud, messy and freewheeling, this is guaranteed to make you want to hold hands and not let go. Be mindful of sweaty palms, though.

Something else to consider: Leonardo DiCaprio finally won his Best Actor Oscar for “The Revenant” this past February, but should he have won it for his performance in this film? Sounds like a great kick-start for a first date discussion.

“There Will Be Blood”

Will your crush love you as much as a ruthless oil tycoon loves liquid gold? Only one way to find out: Sit down with that interesting person you might have only just met and watch star Daniel Day-Lewis and writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson bring this story of passion to life.

The movie is also an excellent litmus test for capitalists – if you don’t think “The Wolf of Wall Street” will provide a clear enough indication of your date’s fiscal politics – so that’s a bonus.

“An Inconvenient Truth”

If talking about the weather leaves you and your date’s conversation feeling bland, then former United States Vice President Al Gore and director Davis Guggenheim’s environmental documentary is sure to heat things up. Gore’s impassioned and important insights on the effects of global warming and the efforts necessary to combat it will undoubtedly cut that first date tension. Get cozy and listen to the hard truths about climate change and your hearts will be melting faster than the polar ice caps.

“Inside Llewyn Davis”

A young folk singer (Oscar Isaac) navigates the unforgiving winter and music scene of 1961 Greenwich Village alongside other attractive and frustrated talents – the supporting cast includes Carey Mulligan, Justin Timberlake and Garrett Hedlund – in this charmingly cynical choice for first date cinema. Misery loves company, and no one knows misery better than the Cohen brothers, so snuggle up with this tale of artistic struggle and let yourselves simmer.

“Whiplash”

If you and your date leave this doozy equally appalled by its depiction of modern romance – a toxic love triangle between a young man, his drums and a merciless jazz maestro – then you probably have a great chance at starting a far more nurturing relationship.

“2001: A Space Odyssey”

The dawn of man, the dangers of artificial intelligence and the immeasurable void of outer space. Stanley Kubrick knew how to direct these elements with care, and thanks to his subtle touch, “2001: A Space Odyssey” plays like the most intimate of ballets, a gentle journey about the power of human connection. From the amorous red glow of HAL 9000 to the bashful majesty of the mysterious black monoliths, each image emanates with a wide-eyed sense of adventure.

This movie will ensure you make a great impression on the first date. It won’t be long until the two of you add “The Blue Danube” and “Also Sprach Zarathustra” to your make out playlist.

“The Social Network”

Director David Fincher. Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin. If anyone knows how to depict healthy relationships, it’s these two. Their critically-adored film traces the dizzying path of Facebook CEO and co-founder Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg) as he falls deeply in love with himself.

But Mark can’t only concentrate on his love affair, though – he also has a fledgling company to run. How will he juggle it all? The answer will surprise and inspire both of you. Forget a second date – you’ll want to start a business together after this one.

“It Follows”

Writer-director David Robert Mitchell’s fascinating coming-of-age movie is the quintessential first date flick. It tenderly captures the charms and challenges of youth and the unpredictable nature of life, fervently encouraging viewers to seize every day.

The film reminds us why we bother with romance to begin with – to meet new people, take chances and be spontaneous. Between its enthralling story, earnest characterization and uniquely beautiful score, “It Follows” may be the best cinematic aphrodisiac in recent memory.

Whine Ancheese can be found at the local diner eating breakfast cereal without milk in it. He does not have an email address.