Greg Carvel announces new coaching staff for UMass hockey

25550708573_1ceaa54be3_b
(Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian)

Newly hired Massachusetts hockey coach Greg Carvel has assembled his first coaching staff with the Minutemen, welcoming Ben Barr, Jared DeMichiel and Brennen McHugh to the program.

It was announced Tuesday morning that Barr and DeMichiel will be joining UMass as assistant coaches, while McHugh will assume the position as director of hockey operations.

“Ben, Jared and Brennen are a great fit for our hockey team,” Carvel said in a press release. “They come with many years of playing and coaching experience that will contribute to building a successful hockey program here at the University of Massachusetts.”

Barr spent his last two seasons as an associate head coach at Western Michigan, and also made coaching stops at Providence College and Union College prior to joining the Broncos. The Friars and Dutchmen both won national titles with players Barr had helped bring into their respected programs, which highlights his recruiting ability.

“I’m humbled to have the opportunity to join the Minuteman family,” said Barr, who spent his playing days with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute from 2000-04. “The pieces are in place at the University of Massachusetts to build a formidable Hockey East-caliber program. Greg, Jared and Brennen did a great job in Canton and I look forward to working on staff with them at UMass.”

For DeMichiel, the jump to Amherst allows him to continue being an assistant for Carvel after spending the last two years under him at St. Lawrence. During his time with the Saints, DeMichiel worked with the penalty kill unit, ranking eighth and tied for 13th nationally. A former goaltender himself, DeMichiel led Rochester Institute of Technology to a Frozen Four appearance back in 2010 and holds the Division I record for career victories by a goaltender at RIT.

“I am beyond excited for the opportunity to join the staff alongside Greg, Ben and Brennen at the University of Massachusetts,” DeMichiel said. “Being from New England, I know about the academic and athletic reputation of UMass. It is an honor to represent such a fine University. I cannot wait to get to work with this staff on building the Minuteman hockey program.”

Joining the Minutemen after a season at Cornell University and three with the Saints, McHugh was tasked with video analysis of games, scouting the opposition, and meeting with recruits, among other jobs.

“Joining the UMass hockey program, athletic department and campus community is a tremendous opportunity that I’m very excited about,” McHugh said. “Greg Carvel is a first-class coach, a true professional and someone I admire greatly. The offer to be part of his new staff, along with Ben and Jared, was one that I couldn’t pass up.”

Jason Kates can be reached at [email protected] and followed @JKates1216.