Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Brown University in OT thriller -

Real Estate finds tranquility, but breaks little new ground on ‘In Mind’ -

UMass baseball takes series behind two straight wins over George Washington -

Letter to the Editor: Amherst should vote no on education referendum -

Make small-scale activism sexy again -

Defense holds strong for UMass men’s lacrosse in loss to Brown -

Strong second half lifts UMass women’s lacrosse past Marist, 10-7 -

Letter to the Editor: UMass alum reflects on his time at the Collegian -

Environmental journalists face challenges under Trump administration -

An open letter to the students of UMass -

Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning

26114758656_2f587ca182_k (1)

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

Going into the eighth inning down 3-1 to Richmond Sunday morning, it looked as though the Massachusetts baseball team was well on its way to getting swept by the Spiders.

Then the bats decided to wake up and the whole complexion of the game changed as UMass (14-22, 7-10 Atlantic-10) exploded for a seven-run eighth inning en route to a 8-3 win, salvaging the last game of the series between the conference foes.

Juniors Dylan Morris and Mike Geannelis led the offensive outburst in the eighth as both had their only hits of the game in the frame. The pair drove in a combined five runs on a single from Morris and Geannelis’ double.

Elsewhere offensively, second baseman Ryan Lever had another multi-hit game, the fourth time he’s done that in the last six games. Mike Hart also contributed with two hits, one of which was a home run in the third inning, his third long ball of the season.

On the mound, senior Brandon Walsh continued his strong season going seven innings, only giving up three runs and six hits, while striking out six Richmond (25-20, 11-10 A-10) batters.

Walsh improved his record to 3-1 on the season and his ERA currently stands at a 3.86.

Spiders starting pitcher Dan Martinson was determined not to be outdone on the mound as he also went seven innings and scattered five hits and two runs to the Minutemen batters.

The bullpen is what let Richmond down on Sunday, as the group combined to give up six runs in two innings of work.

UMass drops both games of doubleheader Saturday

Saturday’s matchups saw the Minutemen not fare as well as they did on Sunday, as UMass dropped both games of the doubleheader by scores of 14-4 and 6-3, respectively.

The first game of the day saw Minutemen starting pitcher Ryan Moloney struggle mightily as the junior went only four innings giving up eight runs and 10 hits. The bullpen did Moloney and company no favors as well, as Tim Cassidy and Ben Panunzio gave up six runs collectively in four innings of work.

UMass’ offense didn’t muster a considerable attack throughout the game either, as only two players had a multi-hit games. Hart had two hits – one was a home run – and designated hitter Hunter Carey had a pair of hits as well and an RBI on the day.

The Richmond offense was firing on all cylinders as three players had three of more hits in the game. Third baseman Michael Morman led the charge with a 4-for-5 game and two RBI’s; three of his four hits were doubles. Left fielder Kyle Adams had three hits and four RBIs’ in the game, while second baseman Daniel Brumbaugh also had three hits resulting in two RBIs.

The second contest on Saturday saw a much better performance for the Minutemen, but once again it was not enough.

Freshman pitcher Justin Lasko did his best to give UMass a chance to win, going eight innings and leaving the game with a 3-2 lead. The bullpen could not shut the door though as closer Evan Mackintosh blew the save in the ninth, and in the eleventh inning Geannelis gave up a walk-off home run to Morman sealing the Minutemen’s fate.

UMass will be back in action on Tuesday for a nonconference game against Connecticut. The game is set to start at 3 p.m. in Storrs, Connecticut.

Adam Aucoin can be reached at aaucoin@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @aaucoin34.