Panel held to discuss the future of public policy and the Universal Basic Income -

Reconsidering Hillary Clinton -

Trump’s Twitter has unprecedented influence on society -

Author and professor at the University of Oregon discusses the push of a corporate agenda through state governments -

Letter: Join the movement against student debt -

Northampton City Council votes to oppose local charter school expansion -

UMass men’s soccer takes on Rhode Island with top conference spot on the line -

Fulton, Smith leading the way for UMass Soccer offensively -

UMass field hockey loses to Northwestern in double overtime -

The remote: a bridge between two siblings -

UMass Style Watch: Jenny Pham -

Sports Editors S1 E5: This one goes off the rails -

Members of the Pioneer Valley’s Native community march in celebration of Indigenous Peoples Day -

Club hockey skates to 1-1 tie with UMass Lowell -

UMass men’s soccer moves to 8-0-1 at home in win over La Salle -

It’s time to break the mold on breaking up -

‘MASSEDUCTION’ is St. Vincent at her best -

Beck’s ‘Colors’ is fun, well-crafted nightclub simplicity -

UMass hockey beats AIC 3-1 to win third straight -

Two goals from freshman John Leonard lead UMass hockey to 3-1 victory Saturday -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon

17127122881_a29aefe654_k

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

Typically, in baseball, when one team more than doubles its opposition in hits, it usually results in a victory.

That was not the case Tuesday afternoon for the Massachusetts baseball team as it out-hit Fairfield 11-5, but ended up on the wrong end on the scoreboard falling to the Stags (27-23, 15-6 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) 4-2 at Alumni Diamond in Fairfield, Connecticut.

The loss was the eighth in the last ten games for UMass (15-27, 8-12 Atlantic 10).

The problem for the Minutemen wasn’t in their inability to get hits, as four players finished with multi-hit games. Instead, their problem was the inability to cash in those hits for runs. UMass was 1-of-13 with runners in scoring position and 2-for-11 with two outs in the inning.

“We were strong in most facets of the game,” Minutemen coach Mike Stone said. We got good pitching, we were pretty sound on defense; it just came down to us not coming through in those spots with runners in scoring position.”

With the hitting advantage that UMass held in the game, a loss like this will hurt more than others.

“To outhit a team and lose it is very disappointing,” Stone said. “You have to execute in those important spots and we didn’t do that today. That is the main reason we lost.”

The Minutemen got a strong performance on the mound from junior Mike Geannelis, who pitched all eight innings for UMass on the day. Geannelis held a no-hitter going into the fourth before it was broken up during the first at-bat of the inning with a single by center fielder Drew Arciuolo.

Geannelis struck out five on the day, giving up four runs, three of which were earned. The only major blemish for the junior was the eventual game-winning, two-run home run by Stags first baseman Mac Crispino in the seventh. Despite the strong effort, he was afforded the loss and his record dropped to 1-5 on the season.

“(Mike) gave us a chance to win today,” Stone said. “He was in command of the game and was executing his pitches well. He pitched well enough to win without question.”

With their non-conference schedule now in the rearview mirror, the Minutemen now set their sights on the last series of the season against George Mason. According to Stone, UMass is eliminated from conference tournament contention, but he is hoping his team comes out strong this weekend.

“They’re keeping score, we’re playing for pride, and when we have an opportunity to compete, we should be competing our butts off,” Stone said. “We don’t want to have anything less than a great effort every single day.”

Adam Aucoin can be reached at aaucoin@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @aaucoin34.