Panel held to discuss the future of public policy and the Universal Basic Income -

Reconsidering Hillary Clinton -

Trump’s Twitter has unprecedented influence on society -

Author and professor at the University of Oregon discusses the push of a corporate agenda through state governments -

Letter: Join the movement against student debt -

Northampton City Council votes to oppose local charter school expansion -

UMass men’s soccer takes on Rhode Island with top conference spot on the line -

Fulton, Smith leading the way for UMass Soccer offensively -

UMass field hockey loses to Northwestern in double overtime -

The remote: a bridge between two siblings -

UMass Style Watch: Jenny Pham -

Sports Editors S1 E5: This one goes off the rails -

Members of the Pioneer Valley’s Native community march in celebration of Indigenous Peoples Day -

Club hockey skates to 1-1 tie with UMass Lowell -

UMass men’s soccer moves to 8-0-1 at home in win over La Salle -

It’s time to break the mold on breaking up -

‘MASSEDUCTION’ is St. Vincent at her best -

Beck’s ‘Colors’ is fun, well-crafted nightclub simplicity -

UMass hockey beats AIC 3-1 to win third straight -

Two goals from freshman John Leonard lead UMass hockey to 3-1 victory Saturday -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season

(Collegian Archives)

(Collegian Archives)

The 2017 season will be the last for Massachusetts baseball coach Mike Stone.

The UMass Baseball Twitter account announced Wednesday morning that Stone will retire following the upcoming season,after his 30th as the coach of the Minutemen and 35th as a Division 1 coach. The all-time winningest coach in UMass baseball history will be 62 following his next season.

“I’ve decided to move on to the next chapter of my life,” Stone said in an interview with Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette. “I’m not sure what it’s going to be yet. But after next year it’ll be 35 years (30 at UMass, five at Vermont) as a Division I head coach,” Stone said. “I feel young. I act young. When I think about the number 35 it seems like a lot, but I certainly don’t feel like I can’t do things.”

“My wife and I want to retire when we have some time to enjoy retirement. I just feel like the time is right.”

Through 29 springs in Amherst, Stone compiled a .507 winning percentage (682-663-3) overall and a .546 mark in the Atlantic 10 (350-291-2), en route to capturing 10 conference titles and two NCAA postseason berths.

The three-time A-10 coach of the year has won six Beanpot championships and groomed 37draft picks in his time coaching at Earl Lorden Field.

“It’s been enjoyable,” he added. “The opportunity to compete and build a ball club has always kept me going. I like to help young men develop as people and ball players.”

The emphasis, as it always is with Stone, will be on his players and compiling a team good enough to contend for an A-10 title, not on the soon-to-be retired coach.

“It’s going to be uncharted territory for me,” he said. “For it to be the last (season), I’m sure I’ll savor things, a little, but I want to have a great team. I want us to be as prepared as possible and really go out with a bang doing it the right way with a great ball club.”

Kyle DaLuz can be reached at kdaluz@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Kyle_DaLuz.