Towson stonewalls UMass men’s lacrosse in CAA Championship; Minutemen season ends after 9-4 loss -

Zach Coleman to join former coach Derek Kellogg at LIU Brooklyn -

UMass men’s lacrosse advances to CAA finals courtesy of Dan Muller’s heroics -

On campus: The liberal assault on free speech -

Essential fall jackets for 2016

(H&M Official Facebook Page)

Velvet, lace, black-chunky boots and scarfs. These are just a few fashion terms that come up in the fall. Fall is approaching quickly, so as we enjoy our last few days of wearing shorts and crop tops, it’s time to stock up on jeans, black clothing and oversized sweaters.

Fashion is an ever-evolving world. Trends this fall may not be in style next fall. This is true for each season. Though fashion in all seasons can carry over, each season has its own style. Distressed light-wash cutoff shorts take a back burner as we welcome jeans and leather jackets into our wardrobes.

During fall the temperature takes a dip, foliage makes its return and pumpkin-flavored treats can be found everywhere. But the best return of all is the fashion. Jackets are a good way to show your own personal style; they can be sporty or high fashion – whichever suits you. They can be the focal point of an outfit or a mere accessory. For those who want to glam up their style a bit without doing too much, check out these three must-have fall jackets.

Denim jackets

Fashion is all about recycling old trends and transitioning them into something more current and trendy. They aren’t new – if you go through your mom and dad’s closet, you’ll probably find a denim jacket. Denim jackets are perfect for fall because they are heavy enough to keep you warm, but still light enough to avoid bulk, and not make you overheat.

For those who are still in the summer mindset, opting for a lighter-wash denim is a cute way to transition summer palates into the fall. But if you’re an “as black as my sole” type of girl, opt for a dark-wash or a black-denim jacket as it will make you stand out. Want to add some originality?  Hop on the pin and patch trend. Adding accessories to your jacket makes it visually pop. Madewell.com has a selection of fun pins and patches for jackets.

Try H&M or Forever 21 for a more inexpensive option, where jackets start at $25 and up. But if you’re looking for a piece that will stand the test of time, try Urban Outfitters or Topshop. Their prices usually start around $70 and up. Helpful tip: search for a denim jacket at a thrift store and distress, bleach and design yourself.

Camouflage jackets

Army green is a popular fall color. It’s a great break from black without being flashy. Army-green everything has been buzzing for the past couple of years and it’s a trend that’s not going stale anytime soon. They can make the most basic outfit pop. Pair them with white jeans and you’ll be as noted as a fashion guru.

Having details like zippers, adjustable rope ties and buttons give the illusion that more effort was put into the outfit. Looking for a cheaper alternative? Try Charlotte Russe, for jackets starting at $21 and up. Want one that’ll last a while? Try ASOS for jackets starting from $78 and up.

Bomber jackets

Alongside denim jackets, bomber jackets are one of the biggest outerwear trends. Everyone from your classmates to your favorite celebrities are hopping onto the bandwagon, and rightfully so. It’s an ideal jacket because it transitions throughout all the seasons, offering a special flare in the fall.

One great thing about bomber jackets is the array of colors they come in. You can opt for an all-black look or implement spring/summery colors with a pastel pink bomber jacket. They also come in a variety of lengths that create a different aesthetic.

You could also opt for a more spacious cut or a looser style jacket. An oversized look is great for layering, and can even transition into the early weeks of winter. Helpful tip: Buy one from the men’s section. They might be cheaper altenrative.

Cynthia Ntinunu can be reached at cntinunu@umass.edu. 

One Response to “Essential fall jackets for 2016”
  1. I love the way denim jackets look. I had no idea they were coming back into style. I should dig through some old boxes and see if I can find a denim jacket or two. It would be perfect for fall weather.