Thursday’s NCAA tournament rematch between UMass men’s soccer and Colgate will be a battle of adjustments -

Veteran belonging and the decline of American communities discussed by journalist and author at Amherst College -

‘UMass Cares About Cancer’ Hosts Blanket Making Event -

UMass women’s basketball heads to North Dakota for two games -

New York Fashion Week: trends you can wear to class

(EventPhotosNYC/ Flickr)

(EventPhotosNYC/Flickr)

Didn’t catch New York Fashion Week this year? No worries! The fashion team at The Massachusetts Daily Collegian has got you covered with what trends walked the runway and how you can rock them on your way to class.

Platform shoes

Make sure you choose a day where you don’t have to walk too far to class to feature these. Platform shoes made more than a couple appearances at New York Fashion Week this year, and it’s safe to say they’re going to stay trendy for the spring. Maybe forgo the sky-high platform heels a la Marc Jacobs in favor of some platform sneakers for class. Save the heels for the disco.

Athleisure wear

Alexander Wang made a splash with his collection this year, partnering with Adidas to bring us a line of black and white “athletic” wear. Wearing sweatpants to class is nothing new, but this spring it’s actually trendy to do so. So throw on some polyester with white racing stripes and take a break from studying to show off your chic active wear.

Orange

Orange is going to be trendy this spring, but if the bright hue intimidates you, try wearing it in a more neutral variation this fall. Fall and orange have always been synonymous (pumpkin spice, pumpkin pie, pumpkin picking), so follow your heart and start your own trends by wearing it all year long.

Hair and Makeup

Natural is the way to go according to Proenza Schouler and Delpozo, who both opted for minimal effort for hair and makeup in their collections. Schouler’s curly hair, afros and effortless bed head can all be easily combined with Delpozo’s little-to-no makeup to embrace your own unique beauty. Some light concealer under the florescent lights of the classroom can go a long way in ensuring that you have that effortless glow.

Florals

Platforms aren’t the only throwback to the 70s this year. Thom Browne and Michael Kors both sent bright floral patterns down the runway. Florals are always popular in the spring, but to stay ahead of this trend, wear it in the fall. Once the temperature starts to drop, so can our mood, but these bright and bouncy florals can bring a little sunshine to your outfit no matter how gloomy the day.

Menswear

Per usual, Earth tones are in for men this year, but the J.Crew collection mixed preppy with adventurous bohemian styles to make something both classic and outdoorsy. Forest greens, tans, soft pinks and even ocean blues invoked an appreciation of the southwest landscape. So to rock this trend, venture into the outdoors and draw some inspiration.

Sophie Wickert can be reached at swickert@umass.edu.