Reflecting over three years as a sports writer -

What I’ve learned from UMass and what UMass can learn from me -

UMass track and field holds its own in Larry Ellis Invitational -

UMass tennis gets two Atlantic 10 victories over weekend -

My two years of survival -

Amherst man to row from Miami to New York City to help fund John P. Musante Health Center -

Brush fires prove problematic for Western Massachusetts communities -

UConn, Boston College up next for UMass softball -

UMass rowing strong against tough competition -

United Airlines: Our perpetual outrage isn’t why people are angry -

Senior Columns 2016-2017 -

Poets Andrea Gibson and Megan Falley spark deeper dialogue in their performances at Iron Horse Music Hall -

Dissecting Science: Episode Three -

Softball sweeps Saint Joseph’s to take over first place in the Atlantic 10 -

Report: UMass men’s basketball lands Maryland transfer Jaylen Brantley -

UMass baseball takes two out of three in weekend series with La Salle -

UMass men’s lacrosse can’t keep pace with Hofstra in road loss -

Q&A with UMass student app creator -

UMass women’s lacrosse squeaks past George Mason 18-17 -

Events in Turkey today echo patterns of Armenian genocide -

Editorial: The Massachusetts Daily Collegian Mission Statement

Collegian File Photo)

(Collegian File Photo)

After 127 years, The Massachusetts Daily Collegian drafted this mission statement: As an independent student-run newspaper and a responsible press, The Massachusetts Daily Collegian strives to be an unbiased source of truths in order to hold itself and other institutions accountable. We have a responsibility to portray a broad range of voices and to create a public platform for both criticism and compromise. Through nuanced, inquisitive journalistic practices, we hope to learn, to educate and to engage the greater community.

The statement articulates the goals and objectives of our institution. In the three sentences above, we want to convey what it means to be an independent newspaper within a university.

Now we want to move forward with clearly defined values that provide a path for decision-making that unifies our newsroom and community. They are simultaneously the starting point, the reference point and the end point of all work published by The Collegian.

As a responsible press, we have an obligation to remain unbiased in our coverage. We recognize that a multitude of sides make up the whole of any story and we aim to present them in a way that reflects various angles, encouraging our readers to decide their truths.

We strive to be detail-oriented, to report on stories and issues in their entirety. Our own independence from the University affords us both the right and obligation to be critical of campus administration, the institutions of our community and The Collegian itself. We aren’t afraid to ask the hard questions and make people uncomfortable to get the answers the public deserves.

Every day we are learning more about the campus and surrounding area, working to efficiently and effectively inform readers. The Daily Collegian serves not just the UMass campus, but also the greater Pioneer Valley and as a result, we must reflect the voices of these communities. We welcome everyone who would like to write, photograph or record video about any subject and who strives to find opposing views. We consider ourselves an open forum for discussion, criticism and debate.

Last semester, we published an editorial called “It’s time to join the conversation” where we committed to covering topics that unfortunately get sidelined despite their significance. This mission statement is an extension of the commitment we made, as this is our first step in opening up these difficult, but necessary, conversations. We understand that this is difficult work, and that it never truly ends, but we pledge to you and to ourselves to continue to grow and self-reflect as we move forward.

Ultimately, we are your resource. We are here to bring coverage and awareness to subjects that matter. We are here to hold ourselves accountable and to be held accountable by others. We have a duty to serve our community’s needs, as this is what our readers deserve.

This unsigned editorial represents the majority opinion of The Massachusetts Daily Collegian Editorial Board, members of which can be reached at editorial@dailycollegian.com.