Students share what keeps them happy during the fall

Daily Collegian File Photo)
(Daily Collegian File Photo)

As the fall semester at the University of Massachusetts begins, students prepare for a year full of new memories and fun activities. Whether it is a freshman about to take on their first college semester, or a senior who has rightfully earned their place as a campus leader, everyone has something here that makes them happy.

With the transition back to school comes the changing of the seasons, welcoming the fall weather. While each and every student at UMass has their own unique experiences here, many students agree that the fall season at school is the most heartwarming and memorable time of the year. Some students shared their favorite parts of fall and what keeps them cheerful as the weather gets colder.

“Fall is my favorite season. It was also my grandmother’s favorite season; we would always enjoy the bright fall colors and seeing the pumpkins. Purely aesthetic.” – Samantha Gonda, freshman communication major

“I love being able to wear cute and comfortable sweaters. Also, I love the feeling of stepping on leaves and hearing them crunch under my feet. The best part, though, is that there’s this smell that always lingers in the air that is just so distinctly fall that it warms you.” – Vanessa Hernandez, freshman, chemistry major.

“I really like the colors and the foliage. The sun feels very warm in the fall. It’s also the start of sweater weather, and I really love fall outfits.” – Melina Garro-Duplisea, senior, communication disorders major and education minor.

“I get very nostalgic because I have had great fall memories. Fall is the season that has the happiest memories of my childhood. My birthday is also in the fall!” – Mariah Girouard, senior, English major.

“My favorite part of the fall is watching the Patriots demolish every other opponent, especially while watching it with friends. Fall is also enjoyable because many awesome TV shows come back, including ‘The Walking Dead.’” – Manny Rose, freshman hospitality and management major

“I enjoy the leaves and the foliage in the fall. I also really love when it gets colder outside because I get to wear fall jackets. In addition, with fall comes awesome holidays such as Halloween and Thanksgiving.” – Saul Bezner, freshman, environmental science major.

“I really love being able to wear different scarves in the fall. I love the change of the leaves, it never gets old. Also, I love the holidays celebrated in the fall, especially my birthday!” – Rachel Darsinos, undeclared, freshman.

“Since I’m from Hawaii, I’ve never experienced the fall before. But, I am very excited to experience the leaves changing color, pumpkin spice lattes and hot apple cider.” – Courtney Hiraoka, freshman, business major.

“I like that I can drink a lot of hot chocolate and not sweat. Also, I get to wear higher socks. Thirdly, basketball season is back on which is pretty cool.”  – John Forbes, freshman mechanical engineering major

“I really love Halloween and watching scary movies with friends. Surprisingly though, I am not a fan of pumpkin spice everything.” – Aakanksha Gupta, senior communication major

Here at UMass Amherst, there is a wide variety of students with diverse interests when it comes to the fall. This season is a time when students celebrate their favorite traditions with friends and family, from scarves to scary movies. What makes you happy during the fall?

Kinda Badlissi can be reached at [email protected].