Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Brown University in OT thriller -

Real Estate finds tranquility, but breaks little new ground on ‘In Mind’ -

UMass baseball takes series behind two straight wins over George Washington -

Letter to the Editor: Amherst should vote no on education referendum -

Make small-scale activism sexy again -

Defense holds strong for UMass men’s lacrosse in loss to Brown -

Strong second half lifts UMass women’s lacrosse past Marist, 10-7 -

Letter to the Editor: UMass alum reflects on his time at the Collegian -

Environmental journalists face challenges under Trump administration -

An open letter to the students of UMass -

Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

Izzie Delario’s late goal secures win for UMass field hockey

30291925316_489cf7d838_b

(Chris O’Keefe/Daily Collegian)

With eight seconds remaining in Friday’s game, the ball found Izzie Delario in front of the net where she knocked it in to give the Massachusetts field hockey team a thrilling 3-2 win over Davidson.

The goal was Delario’s eighth of the season and kept the Minutewomen (8-6, 4-1 Atlantic 10) in position for the Atlantic 10 playoffs. UMass and Davidson battled back-and-forth throughout the game, but Delario was in the right spot at the end that gave the Minutewomen its eighth win of the season.

“(Delario) won a really critical recovery. She got back on the ball, won the ball and that enabled us to get back in the circle,” UMass coach Amy Robertson said. “(The goal) was huge and I was really happy that (Izzie and Sarah Hawkshaw) were able to come through to give us a win we really needed in the end.”

Delario and Hawkshaw have been offensive forces for the Minutewomen and that did not change against Davidson. After the Wildcats (3-12, 1-5 A-10) took a 1-0 lead 2:09 into the game on a controversial call, Hawkshaw took it upon herself to get the Minutewomen back in the game.

Thirty-eight seconds later, Hawkshaw split two Davidson defenders and got past another where she then ripped a back-handed shot in the top right corner of the net to even the score for UMass.

“Individually and as a team (Hawkshaw’s goal) was huge,” Delario said. “Sometimes it takes that one spark to be like we’re going to get this back and put it away to even it up.”

But Hawkshaw was not done there. A little less than seven minutes later, the junior midfielder found the net again. She possessed the ball after Nicole Miller’s pass was deflected and again Hawkshaw ripped a back-hand shot to give the Minutewomen their first lead of the game, 2-1.

Davidson’s Katherine English responded at the 14:07 mark of the first half when the Wildcats took advantage of a penalty corner. Courtney Byler and Hannah Fisher connected with English, who shot from the top of the circle just past the outstretched arms of UMass goalkeeper Emily Hazard.

The Minutewomen struggled to get anything else going on the offensive side after the pair of goals to open the game. They only had four shots in the second half and only three penalty corners in the entire game.

“I think we were a little off, I think you have to give credit to Davidson, they also helped to throw us off our game a bit today,” Robertson said. “Getting on the board early for them and then we answered, I thought that was great. It was a stalemate for a long time and we were just stifled with how to find a structure that would work today.”

Delario agreed with her coach’s assessment.

“We had a little bit of difficulty connecting through our lines,” Delario said. “We came out here with a big mindset with Davidson in conference and knowing we had to win. We came out with excessive energy and sometimes that’s not the best.”

UMass’ next contest is Sunday at 2 p.m. when Northeastern comes to Amherst for a nonconference battle on Senior Day. The Huskies are 7-7 on the season, but Robertson is looking forward to the competition.

“We take a lot of pride in playing teams within the state,” Robertson said. “It’s a really important game as well.”

Tyler Fiedler can be reached by email tfiedler@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Tyler_Fiedler.