Students react to new fence around Townehouses -

‘Do You Have The Right To Do Drugs?’ debate held in Bowker Auditorium -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to build on three-game winning streak against Brown -

UMass softball riding five-game win streak into first Atlantic 10 showdown -

Sanzo: Inability to win close games has hurt UMass baseball -

Hannah Murphy scores 100th career goal in UMass women’s lacrosse 16-9 win over Harvard -

Old age does no harm to indie rock legends The Feelies -

A track-by-track breakdown of Drake’s new project -

When a president lies -

Let them eat steak, and other gender norms I hate -

Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Tyler Bogart and D.J. Smith lead UMass men’s lacrosse during three game win streak -

UMass women’s lacrosse emphasizes defense in approaching games as its key to gaining momentum for conference play -

Not much is new in ‘Beauty and the Beast,’ though it might not be a bad thing -

‘Get Out’ is a satirical horror for the post-Obama generation -

UPC releases spring concert lineup -

Mingle talks about the unsuspecting side of air pollution

(Aakanksha Gupta/Collegian)

(Aakanksha Gupta/Collegian)

Jonathan Mingle, writer and author of “Fire and Ice: Soot, Solidarity and Survival on the Roof of the World,” gave the David Dillon Memorial Lecture on Oct. 18 titled “Hearth Tales: How the Other Half of the World’s Households Live” about the largely overlooked source of air pollution: black carbon, or soot.

The David Dillon Memorial Lecture is an annual event held by the Department of Architecture at the University of Massachusetts. The lecture was given in front of a group of about 50 people in Herter Hall.

Mingle is the author of “Fire and Ice: Soot, Solidarity, and Survival on the Roof of the World” that was published in 2015.

Mingle discussed his trips to remote villages in North India in 2008, when he was doing undergraduate research focusing on how to build homes with clean fuel alternatives.

“I left that first visit really puzzled. I was puzzled by how these folks were going to build this village, pretty much on their own, kind of a boot-strap effort, with very little help from the government,” he said.

He observed that people in the Zanskar were building homes that were very conducive to producing large amounts of soot. Mingle explained that the women of the households would go out and collect dung and other sources for fueling their homes, and they did not have clean options.

“It’s about energy poverty. These are folks who don’t really have other good options…there’s an electric hot plate, there’s a basket full of dung and a bottle with kerosene, and they dip the dung in the kerosene to start a fire,” Mingle said.

At one point during the lecture, he referred to areas of the world in which soot and black carbon is largely impacting the quality of life as the “smoking section.” The slideshow Mingle presented alongside his lecture showed that over 40 percent of humanity lives in the “smoking section.” According to Mingle, this includes the billions of people lacking access to clean cooking, the billions without electricity, and the billion lighting homes with kerosene.

“It was eye opening. The scale of the situation is eye opening,” said Amherst resident Michael Williamson. “I thought [the talk] was excellent. I really thought that there was a lot of clarity in what he was trying to get at and I thought it had a nice combination of…a realizable innovation. And sometimes when something is innovative it is hard to get [at]…with small incremental steps, you can really make an impact.”

Joseph Krupczynski, an architecture professor at UMass, said “Just broadly, [I did have an] awareness of global warming and the effects of it. I didn’t know very much of the Tibetan context and what he was talking about…I didn’t know that a lot of the black carbon that he was talking about was produced by domestic sources, you hear a lot about it coming from industry.”

Hayley Johnson can be reached at hkjohnson@umass.edu.