Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Brown University in OT thriller -

Real Estate finds tranquility, but breaks little new ground on ‘In Mind’ -

UMass baseball takes series behind two straight wins over George Washington -

Letter to the Editor: Amherst should vote no on education referendum -

Make small-scale activism sexy again -

Defense holds strong for UMass men’s lacrosse in loss to Brown -

Strong second half lifts UMass women’s lacrosse past Marist, 10-7 -

Letter to the Editor: UMass alum reflects on his time at the Collegian -

Environmental journalists face challenges under Trump administration -

An open letter to the students of UMass -

Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

UMass field hockey defeats Lock Haven 3-2 in regular season finale

30590522876_64b70535e3_k

(Jong Man Kim/Daily Collegian)

Leading by a goal with one minute remaining after a scoreless second half, the Massachusetts field hockey team was facing the daunting task of a Lock Haven penalty corner. The defense held strong, and cleared the ball before the Bald Eagles could get a shot on goal.

When the clock hit zero the Minutewomen’s place in the Atlantic-10 tournament was solidified with a 3-2 victory over Lock Haven. They will likely face Richmond in the first round next Friday, Nov. 4.

“I’m feeling relieved, because we were put under a lot of pressure,” UMass coach Amy Robertson said. “Lock Haven played phenomenal … It’s a great win, it’s a great way to end our regular season to seal our place and control our destiny.”

UMass (11-7, 6-2  A-10) fell behind early as Lock Haven (9-8, 4-4 A-10) struck first on a goal by senior midfielder Colleen McCabe in the 13th minute off a penalty corner rebound that had bounced off of UMass goaliekeeper Emily Hazard’s pads.

Just over a minute later, UMass junior midfielder Anne Dijkstra knotted the score at one for her third goal of the season after getting a rebound off of the leg of a Lock Haven defender.

In the 23rd minute, Minutewomen senior forward Niki Miller scored her seventh goal of the season from near the left post and into the center of the net to give the Minutewomen a 2-1 lead, sending the Minutewomen fans in presence  into a frenzy.

“I don’t ever really know what happens on my goals, I’m just there and I put them in,” Miller said. “I just saw that she was down so when she’s down mentally you have to lift the ball over the goalie and that’s what I did.”

Just over two minutes later in the 25th minute, the Minutewomen scored again on a goal by junior forward Nicole Kuerzi, her fourth of the season, on a pass from Miller to put them up 3-1.

In the 30th minute, Lock Haven’s senior midfielder Megan Wenrich scored on a pass from McCabe to cut the lead to 3-2. Wenrich’s goal was the last one of the game.

In the second half, both Hazard and Bald Eagle goalie Paige Stuppy played excellent in net. Hazard finished the game with six saves, while Stuppy finished with 11.

“(The defense) was great,” Hazard said. “Mel (Kreusch) had some great runs that really shut them down on the offensive side.”

The Minutewomen attack increased in the second half and had 10 shots in the second half after having eight in the first half. Despite both team’s getting numerous chances, neither could put the ball in the net.

“That’s really frustrating actually,” Miller said. “I don’t think it’s going to be good for us to go into the A-10 tournament in both the first and second half. I think though the second half we did play better, we just weren’t getting the results we needed.”

After playing in Pennsylvania the weekend before in warmer weather, the Minutewomen were forced to wait a day to get back on the field after Amherst saw its first snow Thursday. The temperature was a brisk 40 degrees at game time when UMass took the field.

According to Miller and Hazard, it’s strange switching from warmer to colder temperatures, but nothing its they worry about. Robertson, perhaps, put it perfectly:

“We’re field hockey players, we don’t think about that,” Robertson said. “It can be 80 one day and 20 the next and that’s at the core of every hockey player, the weather will never matter.”

Up next, the Minutewomen look ahead to the A-10 tournament. They are looking to play better against the Spiders, after falling in their first meeting 4-2 on Oct. 9.

“We’re looking to play better in that game and come out and have the best team performance we can have,” Robertson said.

Zander Manning can be reached at alexanderman@umass.edu and followed @ ZMSportsReport.