UMass hockey looks for strong start in matchup with UConn Friday

Caroline O'Connor/Collegian
Caroline O’Connor/Collegian

For the Massachusetts hockey team, this past weekend served as an affirmation that falling behind early and then trying to climb back into contention is no way to win a hockey game.

Against New Hampshire, the Minutemen (2-4-0, 0-2-0 Hockey East Association) spotted the Wildcats the first two goals en route to a 4-1 loss last Friday, while surrendering the first five goals to Boston College the following night in a 7-4 loss. Four of those combined seven goals came in the first period, where UMass is at minus-six in overall goal differential (23 goals surrendered, 17 scored) so far this season.

While the season is still young, Minutemen coach Greg Carvel isn’t taking the issue of UMass’ slow starts lightly.

“That’s one of the areas that we’ve got to learn,” Carvel said after Tuesday’s practice. “There’s too many games where we haven’t been ready to compete.”

Carvel added: “I think the game against UNH was an example. We were down just 1-0 after the first period, but I didn’t like our game. I didn’t like our compete (level).”

Coming into this Friday’s game against Connecticut, the Minutemen will be facing a team in the Huskies (3-2-3, 1-1-0 HEA), who has outscored their opponents 11-7 in the opening period.

All four of UMass’ losses this season have come when they have trailed at the end of the first period. Meanwhile, UConn has yet to lose when ahead at the end of the first frame.

According to Minutemen junior forward Patrick Lee, who is tied for the team lead in points with six (four assists, two goals), a strong first period can impact the team on a psychological level as well.

“You just get into a rhythm when you start the game well,” Lee said. “You just build confidence and just get into a roll, almost a routine. If it doesn’t start well you’re just second guessing yourself the rest of the game.”

Another major indicator of UMass getting off to a strong start is when they have scored the first goal.

This is a trend that tends to hold true across all of college hockey, and has been supported through the first six games for both the Minutemen and the Huskies.

Both wins for UMass have come after scoring the first goal, while all four losses have occurred after conceding it. The record for UConn when scoring the first goal is 3-0-2, while it drops to 0-2-1 when it is scored against them.

Carvel also agrees that the first goal can be indicative of how the rest of the game will go.

“Usually the team that scores first is the team that came ready to play,” Carvel said. “Therefore it usually carries for the rest of the 60 minutes. So, it’s definitely a stat we need to pay attention to.”

Lee also stressed the importance of getting on the board first and what it can do for the team – especially given Friday’s game will be played at the Mullins Center.

“It’s huge,” Lee said. “At home it’s really important to get that first goal and really get the crowd into it and stuff like that, and I feel the team really builds off that.”

Given that the Minutemen have only produced four goals in the first period so far this season (tied for lowest in the conference), UMass could really use improvement in this area if it hopes to beat the Huskies.

“I think if we get a couple more shots in the first and start testing their goalie and try to get a couple of dirty goals to get our offense going, then everything else will just flow from there,” Lee said.

While anything can happen throughout the course of a hockey game, it’s safe to assume that whoever comes out of the first period looking better on Friday will have a major advantage.

For the Minutemen, to capture their first Hockey East victory of the season, the first 20 minutes could be the difference maker.

Nicholas Souza can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @nicksouza27.