UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Rebecca Hall gives a career-best performance in the insightful ‘Christine’

(The Orchard)

(The Orchard)

The life of Christine Chubbuck is shrouded in myth. The news reporter, who worked for a local network in Sarasota, Florida committed suicide in 1974 during a live television broadcast. Unfortunately, the sensationalistic headlines responding to her act would become the definitive statement on her and her life, while the deeper reasons behind her suicide were never delved into.

Screenwriter Craig Shilowich, who had battled through years of depression himself, immediately noticed the nuances and depth in Chubbuck’s life. What could have caused her to take her own life, and why go so far as to do so on live television? Shilowich realized that there was far more to Chubbuck than her death, and he attempts to shed light on her complexities in his script.

Earlier in the year, a different film about Chubbuck was released, titled “Kate Plays Christine.” It explored the process of an actress who was preparing to play the role of Chubbuck in an upcoming production. Its final message: like the permanently missing footage of Chubbuck’s suicide, the story of her life is best left alone.

Shilowich and director Antonio Campos have proved that premise wrong with “Christine.” Their film offers insights and poses questions about relevant topics such as mental health, media news spectacle and what it means to be a woman in the workplace.

Chubbuck’s life should therefore be of interest to everyone, as long as it’s analyzed in the correct revelatory way. Most people know what it feels like to be unloved or isolated, and many are familiar with momentary phases of depression or hopelessness. Christine Chubbuck was a person who could no longer fight these feelings of hopelessness and impending dread. “Christine” does her justice in providing context for why that was.

A romantic at heart, yet a reclusive virgin at the age of 29, Chubbuck’s non-existent love life left her with a deep insecurity that she was unfit to be loved or cared for. In many ways, Chubbuck was a creative genius within her journalistic environment, but her status as a unique woman within a male dominated workplace only left her with a small window of career opportunities. And the “if it bleeds, it leads” mantra from her ratings-obsessed boss left her passion for detailed reporting unappreciated.

Chubbuck was essentially a perfectionist in a world that she was losing complete control over, so much so that it no longer provided her the means of wanting to live in it anymore. Her persona, talents and aspirations were stifled in the face of a variety of harmful factors, and Campos and Shilowich refuse to distill her story down to something simpler. Instead, “Christine” honors the messiness, embracing unanswerable questions and avoiding the assertion of any one narrative.

The attributes of a woman on the verge of suicide are undoubtedly too complex to be definitively shown, however, Rebecca Hall’s performance as Chubbuck is a bold attempt at doing so. One of the main assertions of the earlier mentioned “Kate Plays Christine” was how troubling it could be on an actor to delve into such a tortured mindset. However, Hall performs the challenging part with finesse and strength.

Hall captures the many nuances of the title character and these subtleties make her impending fate all the more tragic toward the film’s end. What she does particularly well is convey Chubbuck’s kind heart, her unyielding work ethic, her passion for great journalism and her attempts to grapple with depression and succeed. These characteristics are what allow the audience to connect to her character.

“Christine” begins as a film that feels easy to watch, but left me troubled and reflective. Hall’s performance alone makes this film worth seeing, but “Christine” also sheds light on issues still facing intelligent professional women in our time. Careful work from the star, director and screenwriter makes Chubbuck’s arc more than just a slow march toward death. The story here feels inevitable and devastating – and not just because it’s based in truth.

The film’s major success lies in the deeply empathetic attention it pays to Christine Chubbuck, respectfully dramatizing the complicated, fascinating and even funny elements of her personality and short life without ever trying to scrub them clean.

William Plotnick can be reached at wplotnick@umass.edu.