ICE cannot enter Amherst Public Schools -

Dissecting Science: Episode one -

Challenges seen in reaching University sustainability goals -

Question and Answer: Lincoln Quang Duong runs on one-man ticket for SGA President -

UMass men’s basketball prepares for last home game of the season, taking on Richmond Wednesday -

Emilie Cowan reflects on her astounding season for UMass women’s track and field -

Winning in practice meant winning the starting job for UMass men’s basketball’s ‘red team’ -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks for first win of the season against Albany Wednesday -

UMass women’s basketball heading in the right direction with season in rear-view mirror -

Fine dining restaurant in downtown Amherst surprises with extravagance -

Debunking three common dieting myths -

The future of the pro-life movement -

Question and Answer: SGA president/vice presidential candidates Amazan and Sullivan see ticket as politically bold -

Bread & Butter in North Amherst celebrates two-year anniversary -

Question and Answer: SGA President Vitale and Vice President Wallace run for re-election -

Derek Kellogg: ‘I wouldn’t say any starting lineup is secure at this point’ for UMass men’s basketball -

UMass softball shows signs of growth in Texas tournament losses -

UMass tennis drops close match against Yale -

Notebook: Defending conference champion Rhode Island splits weekend series -

Four brilliant and unsettling fictional podcasts -

Letter: UMass Democrats fight back against Trump’s policies

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/ Daily Collegian)

To the Editor:

In the wake of Donald Trump’s election, we’ve heard many calls from media and political figures to give Trump another chance. They suggested he might moderate his positions, that it would not be so bad and that we should unite and work together as a nation. What did Trump do with this fresh chance in the very first week? He appointed Steve Bannon to the pivotal role of Chief Strategist, a decision that was instantly applauded by the American Nazi Party and the KKK. Bannon is a leader in the effort to mainstream white nationalism in American discourse. He is racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic, Islamophobic, homophobic, transphobic and has elevated other voices with this agenda through his role as the head of Breitbart News. To highlight one example, under his watch the publication has created a section called “black crime,” which uses false data and narratives taken directly from white supremacist groups to argue that African Americans are inherently criminal and unintelligent.

Now, Bannon will be one of two principal advisers steering public policy for the United States of America under a Trump presidency. This is a crystal-clear reaffirmation that Trump is exactly what his campaign rhetoric suggested: a racist, authoritarian, unacceptable leader. We cannot enable the normalization of his deplorable words and actions; instead we must resist the implementation of policies that will harm the aforementioned groups, people with disabilities and working-class people of all identities. We are on the cusp of perhaps the most radical lurch rightward in our country’s history, and only through solidarity and refusing to be conned into complacency can we prevent our country from going down a very dark path. The cabal of bigots Trump has assembled as his inner circle and the plans they have published for the first 100 days in office are wake-up calls to anyone who cares about marginalized groups, who believes we must fight climate change, who cherishes our social safety net and labor movement or who holds any leftist or moderate views whatsoever. We are not going to take this sitting down.

That is why we are proposing convening a Coalition to Resist Trump’s Policies at the University of Massachusetts, bringing together everyone who has interests at stake in forcefully and effectively fighting back against the damaging actions of the incoming administration. Some may pit protest politics and legislative politics against each other, but we will need both to keep democracy and human rights alive in the Trump era. With this new initiative, we seek to provide a weekly roundtable to coordinate support for each other’s protests and advocacy, and to strategically organize for our common goals. Using the relationships we have cultivated with elected officials as the UMass Democrats, and our experience in sponsoring and lobbying for legislation, we can be a facilitator for action within the Massachusetts state legislature. Other groups will bring their own unique strengths, such as expertise on specific policy issues and experience in grassroots campus mobilization. We want to help empower all organizations on campus who are doing such valuable work for social, economic and climate justice. We believe that when we talk and work together on a weekly basis, we will stand a better chance in the face of stakes that for many are literally life-and-death. We have reached out to a number of groups already, and if you are with an interested organization we have not yet contacted, please feel free to reach out to us.

In solidarity,

UMass Democrats

political.udems@gmail.com

3 Responses to “Letter: UMass Democrats fight back against Trump’s policies”
  1. Mike Danger says:

Hitler was democratically elected. As he rose to power he sent out his storm troopers to physically attack his political opponents (democrats send out their supporters to attack and protest their political opponents). The Nazi’s established a powerful central government with a strong powerful leader (the democrats seek a powerful central government while the republicans seek smaller government with greater autonomy for states and cities. 0bama has sought to rule, without the checks and balances of Congress, through executive actions). Hitler suppressed free speech (the democrats seek to suppress free speech through political correctness). Hitler banned ownership of firearms to private citizens (democrats seek gun control). Hitler persecuted the jews (democrats persecute Christians and vilify white males). The Nazi’s (The National Socialists) established a socialist system (the democrats seek to establish socialism).

It is ignorant to suggest Trump is a fascist when the parallels are more of an indictment against liberalism. This nonsense that academia is pursuing will only further alienate the American working class from the democratic party. Trump won a majority of the votes in a majority of the States. The electoral college specifically prevents mega-cities from dominating the rest of the country.

Radicals have nobody to blame but themselves for abandoning the American working class.

2. Anti-Danger says:

Trumps mandate is tainted. He has sent out his stormtroopers already to terrorize the nation with 800 plus attacks so far. He is building an inner circle of followers similar to Hitlers generals like Goebbels, Spear and Himmler. All racists and part of the plan to exterminate the Jewish race.Trump seeks to clamp controls on the internet and suppress forms of protest. Trump is persecuting any race that is not white through intimidation, fear and threats.Trump will take away hard fought for rights and move towards a totalitarian society. He will remove a human beings right to fresh water, clean air by gutting environmental controls and pulling out of world agreements.
    Trump is a immoral despot who did get elected in a landslide.

3. David Hunt 1990 says:

Bannon has been deemed NOT an anti-Semite by no less than Alan Dershowitz. So, too have many other notable Jews said the same thing, including the head of the Zionist Organization of America.

There may well be legitimate reasons to oppose Bannon. But his anti-Semitism is not one of them.

Meanwhile, Democrats look very likely to elect Keith Ellison, a VERIFIED anti-Semite, as the head of the DNC. It was DEMOCRATS who booed the idea of recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.

Democrats were the party of the Confederacy; the Democrats founded the KKK, passed the Jim Crow laws, enacted marriage license laws to prevent mixed-race marriages, and enslaved blacks with the crack cocaine of welfare to split the black family and create a votes-for-dollars pump to keep Democrats in power.

Democrats have no honesty, no honor, no decency, no integrity, no respect for the rule of law, and no love of country.