‘Stopping Genocide and Mass Atrocities by Stopping the War Profiteers’ talk at UMass -

UMass hockey falls to No. 6 UMass Lowell for third time this season -

UMass hockey breakdown in final minutes of the second period on route to 5-2 loss to UMass Lowell -

Notebook: Jack Gibbs stars as UMass men’s basketball team drops game to Davidson Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball drops another close game, falls to Davidson Saturday afternoon -

Local blogger Larry Kelley dies in car crash, remembered by community -

REPORT: UMass football to name Ed Pinkham as next defensive coordinator -

UMass students skip class to stand in solidarity with undocumented immigrants and refugees -

NPR Education Correspondent Eric Westervelt talks on future of education -

Faculty of journalism department discusses failures of journalism during Trump era -

UMass hockey prepares for third and final match-up against No. 6 UMass Lowell on Saturday -

Panelists hold discussion on embodying global coalitions -

Journalist speaks on criminalization of youth in the United States -

UMass women’s lacrosse heads to Florida in search of first win of 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to get offense back on track against Ohio State -

Duquesne stomps UMass men’s basketball 96-66 in Pittsburgh -

UMass softball focuses on mental approach ahead of Madeira Beach Invitational -

UMass women’s basketball drops eighth straight in loss at Richmond -

‘50 Shades Darker’ steams up all windows in the nation -

’20th Century Women’ is a love letter to women across generations -

C.J. Anderson, Malik Hines each have career nights in UMass men’s basketball’s win over Wagner

15311585_10202642247974812_392865315_o

(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)

On a night where the Massachusetts basketball team played down to its opponent and its star players struggled to find any rhythm, it was an unlikely cast of Minutemen who gave UMass a much-needed lift.

C.J. Anderson and Malik Hines each had career nights while the bench outscored its starters 40-22 as the Minutemen escaped Mullins Center with a 62-55 win over Wagner in a sloppy contest in which the Seahawks controlled the tempo.

“I thought Malik and C.J. really shined in their opportunity,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said after the game.

Anderson led all scorers with a career-high 19 points behind an 8-for-11 shooting performance where he made three of his four 3-point attempts. Hines added 14 points and eight rebounds in 27 minutes off the bench.

However as good as the pair played throughout the evening, it was both Anderson and Hines who were in the right place at the right time with the game on the line.

Leading by two with under five minutes to play, Hines grabbed an offensive rebound off a missed 3-pointer from Luwane Pipkins to keep the Minutemen’s possession alive. Eleven seconds later, Anderson hit a corner 3-pointer in front of UMass’ bench to give it a 55-50 lead with 4:44 remaining.

After Anderson’s 3-pointer, the Minutemen (5-1) held a two-possession lead for the remainder of the game to push their winning streak to four games.

“I saw the ball when Malik got the offensive rebound and kicked it out to (Donte Clark) and then he swung it over to Luwane, I saw I was wide open,” Anderson recalled of the shot. “There was nobody there in the zone. I was like, ‘Give me the ball, give me the ball.’ As soon as he threw it to me, I saw I was wide open, so I took my time, set my feet and tried to knock it down.”

“Plays like that, you can’t coach that,” Hines said of his initial rebound. “That’s just the will.”

Hines, who shot 4-for-5 from the field and was 6-for-7 from the free throw line, scored 11 of his career-high 14 in the second half.

“He’s our best ball-screen defender as a big guy and I thought that came into play,” Kellogg said of Hines. “And the rebounding, he had 14 and eight and I think those are pretty good numbers in 27 minutes for a big guy.”

Kellogg added: “I think Malik is practicing hard enough and doing some good things that he’s getting his own confidence. It’s nothing that I’m doing or saying, he’s performing. When you perform, you become more confident.”

The Minutemen’s usual suspects in Donte Clark, Luwane Pipkins and Zach Lewis shot a combined 7-for-28 from the field and 1-of-15 from 3-point distance.

“I would say that helps out a lot because you can’t just key in on two guys on this team,” Anderson said when asked about having different players step up. “This year is very different. We have a lot of guys that can get hot on any given occasion. You know come next game you’ll never know whose game it is. You just have to come out there and be ready.”

Anderson scored 14 of UMass’ 34 points in the first half, and didn’t miss a shot until his sixth attempt with 4:46 remaining in the first half.

“Just at the beginning of the game I was feeling good, trying to be aggressive,” Anderson said. We got some early open-floor runs and that got me the feel of the game. Other guys, they were doing their thing, but the shots that they missed are the shots that they hit all the time. In practice and in every game. Come next game on Saturday, they’ll be ready so I’m not worried about it.”

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu, and followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.