Demonstrators issue demands at Board of Trustees meeting as Woolridge announces resignation from post of chairman -

UMass men’s basketball shows improvement in 3-point shooting. -

UMass men’s basketball cruises to a victory over Pacific behind a strong second half -

UMass Divest and proponents of sanctuary campus will not be allowed to speak at Board of Trustees meeting -

Former political prisoner to speak on human rights and prison experience -

UMass men’s basketball using late-game situations as learning opportunities for remainder of season -

UMass men’s basketball kicks off Gotham Classic at home against Pacific -

UMass hockey looks to continue recent improvements against Connecticut -

UMass hockey team confident in game plan despite UConn’s constant change in net -

UMass women’s basketball falls apart in the fourth quarter in 71-55 loss to Hofstra -

It’s been a long year -

A return to the collapse of 2008 -

Mindfulness in, and in spite of, a technological age -

Beer, bets and pool: a High Horse unofficial review -

Don’t let winter stop you from running outside -

BREAKING: Train allegedly strikes pedestrian in Amherst -

Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Castro and decolonization

Many people in the United States feel a kind of historical nostalgia about certain time periods and political figures, many of which are associated with colonial legacies. For all his failings, Fidel Castro represents, to many, a nostalgia related to international anti-colonial, anti-apartheid and anti-racist movements. For those who fall within that group, some of this sentiment is owing to the fact that Castro granted political asylum to Assata Shakur, a Black Panther and radical civil rights activist who escaped from a U.S. prison in the early 1970s. However, much of the emotional idealism that has surrounded Castro as a political figure amidst his recent passing rests on his legacy as an incessant and ardent supporter of decolonization.

Directly impacted by the imperialism of the United States, Cuba under Fidel Castro actively opposed colonialism, which proved not only a set of symbolic actions but a true affront to oppression in practice. Castro’s efforts ranged from aid that he provided to movements against apartheid in South Africa and Palestine, to support for resistance in other parts of Latin America, to solidarity with Vietnam amidst their war with the United States.

Cuba under Castro was revolutionary because it was able to maintain its independence and relative stability as a former colony regardless of both the oppressive embargos it endured and the 638 attempts the CIA orchestrated to assassinate Castro. Furthermore, Castro expanded his anti-colonialist politics through contributions to radical movements for liberation across the globe.

The United States intended to disempower Cuba as an independent and politically left-leaning nation. This illuminates the fear the United States and other imperialist nations have of a truly decolonized world, one in which their sphere of hegemonic influence does not extend beyond their borders. Colonialism did not stop in the 18th century, nor in the 19th, nor in the 20th century until this point. A legacy of racism, economic hierarchy, and the apathetic dispensing of lives in the Global South for the sake of Western economic and political interests still remains.

It also goes without saying that political and journalistic portrayals of Cuba in the United States are hypocritical. Guantanamo, the notorious detention facility for individuals the U.S. deems terrorists, lies on the same island as Cuba. The characterizations of Cuba and Castro by the mass media are selective for if Castro is responsible for human rights violations, they are nowhere near the scale of the genocides the United States has been complicit with in Palestine, Rwanda and Latin America.

The media remains an institution bought out by the rich and powerful, dictating a worldview that perpetuates the status quo, each day leaving disproportionately marginalized peoples to die. In the U.S., black lives are routinely taken unjustly by an arm of our government and Latinx immigrants are left in deplorable conditions in detention facilities on the border. Yet, the media has long given much more attention to claims of alleged atrocities committed by dictators abroad.

More details of Castro’s dictatorship are sure to come to light, giving us an opportunity to listen to and learn from the experiences of Cubans. I do not doubt the credibility of claims that Castro suppressed human rights domestically, but there still is praise due for the solidarity he and Cuba showed in the fight against colonialism and oppression. In the same vein, it is critical that we as residents of a country that is a neocolonial power put pressure on our institutions to make changes. So many of our economic privileges ride on the suppression of democracy and development in formerly colonized nations.

Colleen Dehais is a Collegian columnist and can be reached at cdehais@umass.edu.

3 Responses to “Castro and decolonization”
  1. David Hunt 1990 says:

What genocides in “Palestine”? The Arab populations in Israel AND in Gaza AND in the West Bank are increasing. Yeah, that’s “genocide” all right.

2. David Hunt 1990 says:

And let’s not forget execution and imprisonment rates higher than Stalinist Russia on a per capita basis.

And let’s not forget draining execution victims of their blood and selling it.

And let’s not forget stuffing AIDS patients into sanitariums. And ordering people fleeing his country killed.

Who you admire defines you. So, please make a one-way trip to the current Socialist paradise of Venezuela to experience all the joys yet another incarnation of the Worker’s Paradise on earth.

3. Arafat says:

Uh huh…someone drank the Noam Chomsky Kool-Aid.

While the Muslim population in Israel has soared, their are no Jews left living in Arab countries in the Middle East.

What is more it is a fact that wherever Islam exists it does so through violent conquest of the preceding people be they Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Animist, Zoroastrian, etc.

What is more is that while the Muslim population in Israel soars in the Islamic world all non-Muslims are either entirely gone or are slowly being ethnically cleansed. Check the religious demogrpahics of every single Muslim country to see this fact.

But in the upside-down world of Coleen black is white and night is day, but never a smidgen of doubt enters her mind. Actually quite sad and unquestioningly her promoting her misinformation and her prejudices is hurtful to those she unfairly maligns.