Panel held to discuss the future of public policy and the Universal Basic Income -

Reconsidering Hillary Clinton -

Trump’s Twitter has unprecedented influence on society -

Author and professor at the University of Oregon discusses the push of a corporate agenda through state governments -

Letter: Join the movement against student debt -

Northampton City Council votes to oppose local charter school expansion -

UMass men’s soccer takes on Rhode Island with top conference spot on the line -

Fulton, Smith leading the way for UMass Soccer offensively -

UMass field hockey loses to Northwestern in double overtime -

The remote: a bridge between two siblings -

UMass Style Watch: Jenny Pham -

Sports Editors S1 E5: This one goes off the rails -

Members of the Pioneer Valley’s Native community march in celebration of Indigenous Peoples Day -

Club hockey skates to 1-1 tie with UMass Lowell -

UMass men’s soccer moves to 8-0-1 at home in win over La Salle -

It’s time to break the mold on breaking up -

‘MASSEDUCTION’ is St. Vincent at her best -

Beck’s ‘Colors’ is fun, well-crafted nightclub simplicity -

UMass hockey beats AIC 3-1 to win third straight -

Two goals from freshman John Leonard lead UMass hockey to 3-1 victory Saturday -

Indie-pop group STRFKR to headline Pearl Street Tuesday

(Thomas Hawk/Flickr)

The indie rock band STRFKR will be heading to Northampton this Tuesday, in the midst of its nationwide tour. STRFKR will headline the Pearl Street Ballroom, accompanied by synth-pop artist Psychic Twin.

Originating in Portland, Oregon, STRFKR first came together in 2007. Immediately, the band’s merger of psychedelia, electronic and dance influences with indie-pop set it apart from the pack. Though it originally began as a project for lead vocalist Joshua Hodges (who also plays keyboards, guitar and percussion for the band), STRFKR eventually came to include Shawn Glassford on bass and keyboards and Keil Corcoran on drums, keyboards and backing vocals.

Formed after a spell with the band Sexton Blake, Hodges originally named the band “Starf***er” as a joke, but as the band gained popularity, the name stuck. The band briefly changed their name to Pyramiddd under the guidance of a business associate, but reverted to a less profane abbreviation of its original name in 2012.

Hodges has previously characterized STRFKR’s music as “dance music that you can actually listen to, that’s good pop songs, but also you can dance to it.” Its sound is, in a sense, futuristic and progressive. It seems to take listeners into the next realm of pop.

Having released “Starf***er” in 2008, and “Jupiter” in May 2009 with Badman Recording Co., STRFKR caught a break in 2010 when it signed with Polyvinyl Records, with whom the band released the critically-acclaimed “Reptilians” in March of 2011. “Reptilians” shows the striking contrasts the band is capable of, balancing upbeat melodies with dark, often morbid lyrics.

While STRFKR’s music isn’t regularly aired on commercial radio, many of its songs have been featured in films, television shows and commercials over the years. “While I’m Alive,” the opener of 2013’s “Miracle Mile,” was featured in the soundtrack of the film “The Fault in Our Stars.” “Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second,” one of the band’s first singles, was featured prominently in a 2009 Target advertising campaign, and has since been featured on shows like “The Blacklist” and “Weeds.” while its cover of Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” was featured in a 2012 Juicy Couture campaign.

STRFKR is currently touring behind its newest album, the darker, more inward-looking “Being No One, Going Nowhere,” which was released on Nov. 4. The band will be sure to liven up Northampton with its unique, dance-infused sound this Valentine’s Day.

The show begins at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $15, and are available at nbotickets.com.

Jessica Chaiken can be reached at jchaiken@umass.edu.