UPDATE: SGA announces first artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Author-professor holds discussion on the resistance to slavery in the United States -

Jeanne Brunner talks trade books and the nature of science -

UMass men’s basketball looks ahead to George Washington matchup, A-10 tournament, as they try to finish season strong -

UMass hockey plays final two games of the season against No. 10 Providence -

UMass women’s basketball heads to URI for season finale, looks to snap losing streak -

Maggie Mulligan looks to secure 20th double-double in final regular season game for UMass women’s basketball -

UMass pastry chef takes Bakeshop to new heights -

Ten most popular Antonio’s pizza slices compete to see who wins the final rose -

New York hip-hop legend GZA to headline Pearl Street this Friday -

Interruption marketing is becoming outdated -

Give albums a chance -

Best-selling author Roxane Gay talks about modern day feminism at Mount Holyoke College -

Protesters perform in front of Springfield City Hall to absent mayor -

UMass swimming and diving finish third at Atlantic 10 championships -

UMass tennis splits weekend matches with Army, Boston College -

Senior Day highlights lack of bench presence for UMass women’s basketball -

UMass men’s lacrosse drops close game against No. 20 Ohio State in Columbus -

UMass women’s lacrosse splits weekend trip in Florida -

UMass club hockey focused on regionals despite shutout loss to Northeastern -

Letter: Stand Up for UMass at Advocacy Day

(Courtesy of PHENOM)

To the editor:

State funding for Massachusetts public colleges and universities has fallen by 31 percent per student over the past 15 years. That means higher costs for students, greater reliance on non-tenure track faculty and more privatization on our campuses. That’s why students, faculty, staff and communities are standing up and fighting back at the 6th Annual Public Higher Education Advocacy Day on March 1 at the State House.

Advocacy Day is an annual event where supporters of our public colleges and universities head to the State House to share their stories about the high costs of tuition and fees, struggling to piece together an income as an adjunct professor, the burdens of student debt on their families and the other challenges that people face because of the cost of higher public education.

We also share the important stories of the high-quality education and community-building our public community colleges, state universities and University of Massachusetts campuses provide every single day.

Our public higher education system is strong in Massachusetts, but the high costs of tuition and fees are a major burden on students and working families across the state. Recent reports show that hunger and homelessness are rising on our campuses, and that’s because students are often faced with the choice of paying for school or paying their rent. We know that’s wrong. You do too.

Join our coalition of student activists, labor educators, faculty and staff members, community supporters, union organizers and business leaders to fight for high-quality, debt-free public colleges and universities in our state. You don’t need lobbying experience. We’ll give you some tips on how to share your stories with legislators in the most effective way.

Talk to your professors about the event because you can get an excused absence and might even be able to get extra credit. Transportation from UMass will be provided, and we will provide lunch at the State House. All you need to bring is your story to share with your legislators. We know they want to hear it.

Register here (bit.ly/PHEAD17) to join us on March 1 to stand up and advocate for UMass Amherst and our public higher education system.

Editor’s Note: Zac Bears is the former op-editor of the Collegian. He graduated in 2015.
He is the executive director of PHENOM, the Public Higher Education Network of Massachusetts.

2 Responses to “Letter: Stand Up for UMass at Advocacy Day”
  1. David Hunt 1990 says:

Maybe if U Mass got rid of it’s “Diversity” office, and racism departments like “Black Studies” and sexist departments like “Women’s Studies” they could cut tuition? And not having every student have to take mandatory credit classes to imprint on them all the “White Privilege” crap…

I’m just saying?

2. Tawana says:

Is this letter to the Collegian because you are getting no traffic on your blog?