UMass hockey falls flat in 5-0 loss to Northeastern -

UMass women’s track and field takes first, men fourth at Joe Donahue Games -

Sanzo: UMass’ game vs. St. Louis is a sign of what it is without its grit -

UMass men’s basketball gets blown out by Saint Louis, 66-47 -

UMass hockey shuts down No. 8 Northeastern with 3-0 win -

Matt Murray hands Northeastern its first shutout of the season -

Minutewomen stunned by last-second free throw -

UMass hockey returns home to battle juggernaut Northeastern squad -

Slow start sinks Minutemen against URI -

UMass three-game win streak snapped in Rhode Island humbling -

Trio of second period goals leads Maine to 3-1 win over UMass hockey -

SGA Elections Commission dissolves Duong/Spencer ticket

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

The Student Government Association Elections Commission suspended Lincoln Duong, candidate for presidential election and issued a warning to incumbent ticket Anthony Vitale/Lily Wallace Thursday, amid a contentious stretch in the days leading up to the SGA election.

Duong’s campaign has been suspended for 48 hours beginning Thursday at 10:33 p.m. for violating rules within the SGA bylaws, according to a copy of the Elections Commission meeting minutes given to the Daily Collegian. The Commission also decided that Duong and Spencer could not run together on a ticket.

The warning for the Vitale/Wallace ticket was after a campaign worker had used negative connotation and intended on defaming another presidential candidate. Screenshots were given as evidence to support the complaint.

Voting for the 2017-18 SGA president, vice president and student trustee begins March 6. All three tickets are expected to participate in Sunday’s SGA Debate, hosted by the Collegian.

However, the ticket already faced uncertainty prior to Duong’s suspension. A junior economics and political science double major, Duong originally announced he would be running without a vice presidential candidate. It was not until Wednesday that he announced the addition of Southwest Residential Area Governor James Spencer to his ticket, who also initially intended to run for President.

The Commission stated in the minutes that they decided that Duong and Spencer could not run on a joint ticket because the bylaws do not allow for candidates to change their nominated positions without another nomination process. Since Spencer was nominated for President he therefore cannot run for Vice President, a position he was never nominated for.

Duong’s suspension is a result of campaigning during the nomination period for which he received a 24-hour suspension, and publishing unapproved “propaganda” to social media after being previously notified, upping the suspension to 48 hours.

“Before I publish anything, I have to send it to the Chancellor of Elections…we would put it in a google drive file and then if the chancellor sees it, then it’s fine, but I think last night we did not put it on the file,” said Duong.

“He will still be able to participate in the debate,” SGA Chancellor of Elections Ryan Jackson said. “He won’t have access to his [campaign] funds until Saturday night after his 48 hours is up. He won’t be able to post online, and he won’t be able to flyer or dorm storm.

“How this will affect his campaign depends on his strategy and his ability to think on his feet at this point,” Jackson said. “But, as previously stated, he can participate in the debate and that’s what I wanted from the beginning, to have the cleanest race possible, to have all the candidates at the debate.”

SGA President Anthony Vitale declined to comment. “I really don’t want to comment on the other candidate. I feel bad to be honest, talking about another candidate.”

Duong believes the Election Commission is treating his ticket unfairly, in part because it’s hoping to curry favor with incumbents Vitale/Wallace, who are running for re-election.

“There is a lot of conflict of interest in this election when the incumbent president is seeking re-election,” Duong wrote in an email. “I feel that the Election Committee and Administrative Affairs Committee, who can also vote on issues with candidates, are not treating my ticket fairly.”

Explaining this conflict of interest, he said, “If the current president gets reelected, [the cabinet]…can keep their positions. The other thing is…the chancellor [of elections] is appointed by the president…So the incumbent has a lot of support from the cabinet, people who can make decisions regarding the campaigns.”

“It definitely has a lot of effect on our campaign right now because we cannot publish any campaigning material, we cannot go around passing flyers…but I think that it [is] Friday and tomorrow is Saturday, and a lot of people won’t put much attention to the political news on this campus,” Duong said. “So in general, we already gathered a huge pool of support for us during the week and this suspension affects a few things in our campaign, but it won’t affect the overall…”

Robert Rigo can be reached at rrigo@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Rob_Rigo. Hayley Johnson contributed to this report and can be reached at hkjohnson@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson. Danny Cordova contributed to this report and can be reached at dcordova@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @DannyJCordova.

6 Responses to “SGA Elections Commission dissolves Duong/Spencer ticket”
  1. Tawana says:

This is a pretty good representation of how our real government works: a bunch of bozos doing everything they can to waste our time and money.

2. Ryan Duffant says:

Looks like the SGA is getting pretty scared of the Doung ticket and is doing everything they can to stop him from winning! Of course the current SGA president is influencing his adminsttstion to take actions against something threatening his relection! Look at his weak, liberal, and snake-like answer when asked to comment on the issue. Hopefully voters see this political BS from the current SGA prez

3. Leo McCanon says:

Wow! Political bickering at its finest! Looks like the current SGA administration and president are scared of the strength of the Doung ticket and are doing everything in their power to try to stop him! What a weak answer by Vitale, could not even give some sort of comment on the current political BS he’s influencing. This election is surely scandalous.

4. Daniel says:

when Wallace was in my class, all she did was complain and skipped more than 7 classes…not a good candidate

5. Benito says:

lol, look at all the shilling from obnoxious little toddlers who hate seeing strong women in charge. Great job you beta cucks, all that whining make you feel any better? Your ticket has been involved in some of the most obnoxious, self-important and untruthful campaigning ever seen on campus, but every time someone attacks you, suddenly it’s “WAAAAAH WAAAAAH EVERYONE IS BIASED AGAINST ME, MY DADDY WILL HEAR OF THIS!”. Jesus, y’all are just a bunch of snowflakes.

6. Rob says:

I for one am happy to hear about this ruling from the elections commission. The Lincoln “ticket” is being manipulative and self centered. Its time to teach this candidate a lesson that the rules apply to him and his cronies too. Also I’m personally sick and tired of all the personal attacks coming out of the Lincoln campaign. Clearly he has no plan if all hes got is petty politics.