Student in critical condition after pedestrian-vehicle accident on Friday -

UMass women’s soccer fails to secure spot in A-10 tournament with loss to Saint Louis -

Struggles with special teams sinks UMass hockey -

UMass hockey drops second of the year in 3-1 loss to Ohio State -

Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

Ames: If first four games are any indicator, this UMass hockey season could differ for the better -

Josh Couturier looks to find where he fits within UMass lineup -

The straw man fallacy: missing the point on Indigenous Peoples Day -

Ryan Bamford: ‘no evidence’ found in private investigation regarding lawsuit against former and current UMass men’s basketball coaches

Ryan Bamford giving a speech after being named Athletic Director in 2015. (Daily Collegian File Photo)

Private investigators found no evidence to support a December civil lawsuit against four current and former Massachusetts men’s basketball coaches, according to a statement from UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford last Tuesday.

The victim is seeking $75,000 in damages from assistant director of basketball Lou Roe, current associate head coach Shyrone Chatman, as well as former strength coach Richard Hogans and head coach Derek Kellogg for a 2013 incident at a team facility.

The victim alleges Roe, Chatman and Hogans of depriving her of her civil rights, intimidating and false imprisonment following a UMass basketball game on Dec. 7, 2013. Kellogg, who was not present at the time of the incident according to the lawsuit, alleged to have participated in a “cover-up” of the incident.

“In December 2016, UMass officials took prompt action when they learned, for the first time, of allegations concerning the December 2013 conduct of members of the men’s basketball coaching staff and student-athletes,” Bamford said in the press release. “At this time, UMass took appropriate measures including hiring an outside investigator to independently review the matter. This review found no evidence to support any of the allegations regarding the conduct of student-athletes or coaching staff.”

The NCAA has not notified UMass of any wrongdoing.

“The NCAA has not notified UMass that these allegations constitute a violation of NCAA rules, and the NCAA has not indicated that any investigation is being considered,” Bamford said. “UMass is not aware of any evidence that any violation of NCAA regulations occurred.”

Roe remains on paid administrative leave, which he’s been on since December. With Bamford still searching for a new men’s basketball coach, Chatman remains a University employee. Hogans served as the team’s strength coach from 2012-2014.

Bamford again stated there was no connection between the lawsuit and the firing of Kellogg, which happened March 9 after the Minutemen lost in the second round of the Atlantic 10 tournament.

“Last week, UMass made a change in the leadership of its men’s basketball program,” Bamford said. “There is absolutely no connection between the decision to relieve men’s basketball head coach Derek Kellogg of his duties and the lawsuit or the allegations it contains.”

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu, and followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.

One Response to “Ryan Bamford: ‘no evidence’ found in private investigation regarding lawsuit against former and current UMass men’s basketball coaches”
  1. Adam Cameron says:

Given the, in my opinion, shameful state of UMass Amherst athletics, I am currently considering withholding any donations as long as Mr. Bamford remains associated with the university.