Student Activism Special Issue 2017

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do – by Robert Rigo
The Collegian dedicates this week’s content to highlighting the work of student groups and organizations whose activism has created lasting change in the UMass community.

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer – by Aakanksha Gupta
Abbasi talks about her personal take on the political climate and how to get involved in student activism.

The UMass club that is un-beelievable – by Abigail Charpentier
An inside look at the Beekeeping Club.

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year – by Jack Martin
Vitale and Wallace’s goal is to create a SGA position to address student activists’ concerns.

Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. – by Stuart Foster
Members of NASA discuss plans for the semester and the long-term future for Native American students at UMass.

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus – by Alvin Buyinza
The group advocates for safe spaces for discussions about race and peaceful protests in the community.

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights – by Rachel Walman
The student organization is petitioning for the abortion pill to be available at UHS.

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters – by Bradley Polumbo
Bradley Polumbo argues against a variety of recent UMass protests, claiming that they simply represent the flawed liberal agenda.

Have you popped your bubble? – by Joe Frank
Joe Frank escaped his Northeast bubble over spring break, and he has returned with a new awareness about the academic inequalities in this country.

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line – by Stuart Foster
The clothes are printed on UMass’ campus and promote intersectional liberation.

Active Minds strives to start conversation about mental health, end stigma – by Devyn Giannetti

Students can come to meetings on every other Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Rolling tobacco and high profits for iRollie – by Rhiannon Snide

UMass businessman making strides in his iRollie.

Plant-Based Nutrition club promotes healthier, sustainable diets on campus – by Carson McGrath

P-NUT brings guest speakers to campus, screens informative documentaries and volunteers within the community.

Q&A: Khalif Nunnally-Rivera, an advocate for access and affordability for underrepresented students – by Stefan Geller

They have sites in Springfield, Holyoke and Amherst.

Activism can change the world – by Evan Gaudette

The American Health Care Act’s failure to pass shows how activism can have real effects.

Student Union Craft Center serves as an open space of expression for students – by Hayley Johnson

The many areas of the craft center allow for visitors to create a wide variety of art.

An ode to Amhert’s American Legion – by Felix Sanders

The history of Amherst’s best dive bar.

Rally held outside Joint Ways and Means Committee meeting for tuition and fee freezes – by Hayley Johnson

The average student debt is around $30,000.

Q&A: Jawad Awan, co-president of the Muslim Student Association – by Stefan Geller

Awan talks about the MSA’s passion for education and empowerment.

CEPA brings light to student activism at UMass – Hayley Johnson

CEPA provides resources and knowledge for student activism.

Eco-Rep Program brings leadership and sustainability to the classroom – by Carson McGrath

Eco-Rep program educates the next environmental sustainability leaders.

Divest UMass proves student activism is alive and well – by Will Soltero

Divest members are still hard at work for their cause.

From textbook prices to clean energy, MASSPIRG fights for many issues – by Danny Cordova

MASSPIRG’s statewide lead campaign hopes to have 100 percent clean energy at UMass and the state.