Student death reported to the University Sept. 19 -

Domestic violence and experience of Muslim women lecture kicks off seminar series -

Students demand bathroom accountability -

Small trashcan fire broke out in Kennedy Hall -

Immigration policy discussed in public teach-in -

Massachusetts men’s soccer ties Central Connecticut State in double overtime -

Atlantic 10 Women’s Soccer Notebook: Saint Louis Billikens off to hottest start among A-10 teams -

Health care, DACA headline congressional town hall in Northampton -

UMass field hockey looks to continue winning streak against St. Francis and Lock Haven -

Kuerzi battles through shin splints for UMass field hockey -

Palmer, Britt starting to materialize as playmakers on UMass football’s receiving corps -

Bring the Constitution back to campus -

Why All College Students Should Still Handwrite Their Notes -

Loads of Frustration -

Fitbits, Apple watches and other devices all have the same objective -

How the runway influences the real world -

Palestinian women talk about their lives as refugees -

UPDATE: Wayland man dies following apparent fall -

Political discourse heats up at Amherst College -

Author Thomas Suarez leads talk on Israel-Palestine conflict -

Daffodil Run raises money for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hampshire County

Daffodil Run in 2014 (Daily Collegian File Photo)

The Daffodil Run, which consists of two 5K and 10K road races, was held in Kendrick Park on Sunday, April 30.

The course looped around downtown Amherst amongst the view of the many blooming daffodils planted in celebration of the town’s 250th anniversary. Runners ran by crowds of people cheering them on while shaking cow bells.

Jen Loebel, the development director and race coordinator, said all the proceeds from the event support Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hampshire County, which matches children with life challenges and caring adult mentors within the community.

“This is our largest run yet, it’s the seventh year, and we added a 10K for this event,” said Loebel. “We’ve had over a thousand participants today, so we’re very excited about that. It’s our best year yet.”

Both individual runners and teams were encouraged to fundraise before the race to help the event’s success and support Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hampshire County.

After the race a barbecue was held for all of the runners. Many runners hung around eating, listening to music and enjoying the nice weather. The event had a bounce house and bubble machines for kids and their families.

Members of Whole Children, an organization in Hadley that offers after school programs to kids and teenagers with special needs, were at the run dressed in a goose costume to take pictures with kids, promoting their upcoming Wild Goose Chase 5K on May 21.

Jen Dolan, a runner, volunteer and University of Massachusetts psychological and brain sciences professor, said she loved the course but struggled around the second mile.

“It’s fun running through town. There was a lot of electricity, people were excited and cheering. It makes it fun and it’s for such a great cause,” Dolan said.

Allison Rigney, a senior history major, said she heard of the event after seeing multiple lawn signs promoting it.

“I’m not a huge runner and this is only my second 5K but it looked fun and for a good cause,” she said.

Prizes were awarded to the first, second, and third place male and female 5K and 10K runners as well as the top male and female runners from each age category.

Emma Martin can be reached at emmamartin@umass.edu.