Pipeline in Holyoke stirs up conversation -

Lawrence Osborn Fossil Collection showcases fossils from across the globe, spanning vast ages -

Retired professor and public figure, Julius Lester, passed away at age 78 -

UMass looks to maintain discipline in Tuesday’s tilt at Boston College -

UMass men’s and women’s swimming and diving earns second place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

YouTube’s free speech problem -

Resolutions should not wait until the new year -

Book review: ‘When Breath Becomes Air’ by Paul Kalanithi -

Charli XCX’s latest release, ‘Pop 2,’ is another gorgeous experiment on electro-pop -

Rashaan Holloway ruled academically ineligible, will miss rest of season -

Minutewomen hold on to defeat VCU, snap losing streak -

America’s misguided war on low-income financial assistance -

Blue lights aren’t needed on campus anymore -

Cupcakke’s ‘Ephorize’ proves it’s time to take her seriously -

Netflix series ‘The End of the F***ing World’ packs a punch -

UMass hockey falls flat in 5-0 loss to Northeastern -

UMass women’s track and field takes first, men fourth at Joe Donahue Games -

Sanzo: UMass’ game vs. St. Louis is a sign of what it is without its grit -

UMass men’s basketball gets blown out by Saint Louis, 66-47 -

UMass hockey shuts down No. 8 Northeastern with 3-0 win -

UPenn professor gives lecture on the growth of executive power at Smith College

(Caroline O’Connor/ Daily Collegian)

Claire Finkelstein spoke to a crowd of about 40 people at Smith College on Monday, discussing how recent presidents have ignored the rule of law to increase the power of the executive branch.

Finkelstein is the Algernon Biddle professor of law and philosophy at the University of Pennsylvania and the founder and director of the Center for Ethics and the Rule of Law, a nonpartisan organization that seeks to promote and protect the rule of law in America and internationally.

The lecture, entitled “Is the U.S. Becoming a Constitutional Dictatorship? Executive Authority and the Rule of Law in the Age of Trump,” was sponsored by the Louise W. and Edmund J. Kahn Liberal Arts Institute at Smith College, an organization that seeks to promote collaboration between faculty, students and experts on broad research projects.

Finkelstein’s main argument contended that presidents in the post-9/11 era have sought to gain power through ignoring the rule of law in the name of safety for American citizens. Finkelstein defined the rule of law as a concept where the control over power in a country comes from a set of laws rather than an individual or a group.

“The law is supposed to constrain what we do, and we are not adhering to the rule of law and acting according to rule of law values,” Finkelstein said.

“I’ll claim that is exactly what happened immediately following 9/11,” she added.

Finkelstein cited multiple examples of a rise in executive power in the aftermath of 9/11, such as George W. Bush’s use of enhanced interrogation techniques in Guantanamo Bay, and Donald Trump’s attempts to impose a travel ban on immigrants from certain nations.

Finkelstein also argued that President Barack Obama did not prosecute operators of enhanced interrogation techniques under the order of Bush in order to use the same justification for his own use of drone strikes on suspected terrorists.

In addition, Finkelstein related her claims of the disregard of the rule of law by the executive branch to Trump.

“The lack of moral character of the president, as well as a number of the officials with whom he has surrounded himself, have had a corrosive effect on public faith that law will be perceived by public leaders as a constraint,” she said.

Throughout her lecture, Finkelstein continually emphasized the importance of laws constraining the powers of members of the government.

“The willingness of political leaders to be constrained by law is an essential feature of law,” she said.

Following the lecture, Karen Remmler, a professor of German studies at Mount Holyoke College and an attendee of the lecture, said Finkelstein addressed crucial ideas on executive power.

“I thought it raised important points about the current administration, and also raised the question of how do we, as citizens, address violations or overuse of executive power,” she said.

John Harding, a lawyer for the state of New Hampshire, saw many implications of the lecture in his own work.

“[Finkelstein] presented viewpoints, arguments and facts that I really hadn’t encountered before presented in that way, so this was a fascinating lecture for me to hear, whether it was me just as a regular citizen or me as a lawyer,” he said.

Will Mallas can be reached at wmallas@umass.edu.

One Response to “UPenn professor gives lecture on the growth of executive power at Smith College”
  1. NITZAKHON says:

Quote from the article:
    “…Donald Trump’s attempts to impose a travel ban on immigrants from certain nations.”

Carter did the same thing against Iranians during the hostage crisis. A read of the law and precedents shows that this is absolutely within Executive Privilege.

Quote from the article:
    “In addition, Finkelstein related her claims of the disregard of the rule of law by the executive branch to Trump.”

You excoriate Trump, as is your right, without mentioning the obscene weaponization of the IRS by Obama? HA! Listening to a liberal lecture about the Rule of Law, let alone ethics and morality, is like listening to a hooker lecture about chastity and fidelity.

I think it was Eisenhower who said “Imagine the political power you seek in the hands of your political opponent”. We Conservatives have been warning about that, especially vis a vis Obama, for years. All of a sudden, now, “Separation of Powers” and limits are hot topics since the shoe’s on the other foot.