At a Wednesday lecture, students were treated to a discussion on how to have positive, rewarding sexual experiences by Joyce Joseph, the former clinical director of the Human Sexuality Institute.
The UMass DKMS Americas, a branch of a national bone marrow recruitment agency, will be hosting a bone marrow drive today and tomorrow in an effort to try to garner more donators for those in need.
New support and therapy groups have been established at University Health Services this semester.
A recent study by French researchers found that premature balding may be linked to an increased risk of developing prostate cancer.
Recent research shows that popular energy drink may pose harmful effects to the body.
“Where’s the beef?” was once a slogan of the fast-food restaurant chain Wendy’s, in regards to the quality of meat of their competitors’ products. Now, some consumers are asking just that of Taco Bell. An Alabama law firm has filed a class-action law suit against the fast-food company, that claims the “seasoned beef” served in its products does not contain enough beef to be considered beef, seasoned or otherwise. According to the lawsuit, only 35 percent of the beef filling served in tacos was actual beef, with the remaining 65 percent consisting of ingredients including: water, isolated oat product, wheat…
You say tomato, I say Salmonella. Between 1996 and 2008, 14 of 84 produce-related outbreaks of food-borne illness were linked to tomatoes, according to a report released by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2009. Although the popular fruit was proven innocent during the Salmonella scare of 2008, in which 1,440 people fell ill (the likely culprit: jalapeño peppers), it’s been linked to 20 Salmonella outbreaks since 1990, according to the website for the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Lynne McLandsborough of the University of Massachusetts department of food science wants to find out why – and…
One University of Massachusetts student felt she “held her doctor in the palm of her hand,” when she went to her primary care physician to get a referral to a psychiatrist who “tests” for ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder).
Adderall and other “study drugs” are becoming the drugs of choice for college students across America, for both academic assistance and recreational use.
Students are increasingly turning to prescription study drugs around finals time to give themselves that extra edge, but University Health Services’ Diane Fedorchak cautions that abuse of such substances can have consequences.
The Department of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts and Arbella Insurance of Quincy, Mass., have teamed up to create the Distractology 101 program, which guides drivers through a simulator, throwing at them different scenarios where they may be distracted.
The University of Massachusetts’ Office of Disability Services helps provide “full access” for people with a range of disabilities.
The new Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH) was formed when Counseling and Assessment Services (CAS) became part of the mental health department at University Health Services (UHS) earlier this semester.
Last year’s American Red Cross-sponsored blood drive attracted large crowds of students and faculty alike to the campus center to donate the life-saving fluid. Donors included both students and faculty, several of whom have been donating for years.
A recent study in the Journal of Affective Disorders has shown that a lack of positive social life and symptoms of depression have spurred suicidal thoughts in some college students.
The 11-mile Norwottuck Rail Trail is currently in progress for renovations due to glass and root problems. In light of the trail’s fragile state, a design submission will be reviewed by the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) regarding plans for a large-scale reconstruction.
Unless they already have existing insurance coverage, UMass students must pay $2,322 per year for University-provided health care through Aetna Student Health, but are we really getting our money’s worth?
Following an extensive review process, University Health Services at the University of Massachusetts has been certified by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, recognizing the organization’s excellence in offering high-quality healthcare services.
A new study suggests that rushing sororities may have profoundly negative effects on body image and self esteem, as optimistic pledges are often evaluated predominantly on their outward appearance, putting a great deal of pressure on them to look hot to find a spot.
A new study offers weekly group sessions for parents with hyperactive pre-school children which will include coping strategies for handling emotional outbursts.