Irish band making waves

It can be a letdown when one learns of a band from overseas that doesn’t receive the same praise in the States as it does in its home country. Once in a while however, a band can break into a music scene abroad as an opening act for another artist, or through a mix tape from a friend. Irish rockers The Frames are one such example. After touring this past year with folk-rock artist Damien Rice, The Frames have managed to earn a small but strong following here in the United States.

With the release of their live album entitled “Setlist,” The Frames have captured the live show experience with all the highs and lows of actually being present at the recording. Recorded over a few nights in Dublin in 2003, The Frames picked the best tracks and compiled them into an album of 13 energy-driven songs.

“Setlist” opens with a punch in “Revelate.” What at first begins with a recording of a song from “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,” soon jumps with intense guitar driven vigor into a moment that defines the rest of the album – pure rock. The crowd begins chanting along with Glen Hansard, the lead singer, as he sings, “My single slant, this broken chant.” Heavy guitar melodies combined with rock violin create a sound that will blow away rock aficionados. Colm MacConIomaire’s sweeping violin solo melds the folk aspect of The Frames with heavy rock feel in a moment that is sure to give listener chills.

The chilling effect of MacConIomaire’s violin continues with “Star, Star,” a soft ballad where Hansard sings about bringing out the best in oneself. Building in volume, the ballad increases in instrumentation and emotion.

Hansard proves that emotional singing can be perhaps the most powerful type of vocalization in “God Bless Mom,” which features perhaps the best live moments of the entire album, while also featuring the worst. Complex guitar strumming, fueled by a driving drum rhythm, complimented by single chords on another electric guitar, highlight the vocal overtones, providing a dark yet rich sound. At about two minutes into the song, MacConIomaire’s violin and the rest of band break, but only for a second, coming together in perfect sync to make an incredible “grand entrance”. Unfortunately, only seconds later, Hansard and his backup Doyle sing terribly out of tune. The listener is rewarded however at about three and a half minutes in, when a Pixies-esque bassline and guitar rhythm akin to the Clash kicks in. The moment builds and builds, with a sudden eruption of sound, where one might find themselves with their fist pumping in the air, or jumping with excitement. It’s truly a moment of rock excellence.

“Pavement Tune” and “The Stars Are Underground” thunder with heavy guitar resonance and drums clattering precise rhythms. The Frames master their timing, never missing a key moment, and one knows they’re well rehearsed. Three part harmonies are present, but in an arrangement that consists of either the guitar, violin and vocalist, or a combination with the crowd singing. Make no mistake, The Frames use the crowd as an instrument and they do it well.

Considered by many to be their best song back in Ireland, The Frames use “Fitzcarraldo” as one of their closers. Hansard found inspiration for writing the song after seeing a movie of the same title where a man had to pull a ship over a mountain. Using that metaphor, The Frames combine great songwriting with a well-arranged piece. A Spanish guitar rhythm (played on an electric) combined with dark undertones, makes for a great piece. Every instrument is important here. Doyle’s bass line, the simple carrying drum rhythm, and of course, Colm’s rock violin. Hassard sings “Even the good stars fall from grace and falter” as the band rocks as a single unit, combining different elements of world music, and varied rock influences, before climaxing with Colm’s last solo.

Listening to The Frames is an experience, which is difficult to describe. It’s something you have to feel. For those who miss the emotion in rock, – and this isn’t emo – and who want to experience a live show without being there, this album is for you. There is something for everyone in their music, and you don’t know what you’re missing till you’ve given them a try.

Information from the Web site theframes.ie was used in this report.