Dalai Lama cancels UMass visit

The Dalai Lama waves as he leaves the stage in Princeton, New Jersey in October 2014. His Holiness cancelled his visit next month to the University of Massachusetts. (Michael S. Wirtz/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT)
The Dalai Lama waves as he leaves the stage in Princeton, New Jersey in October 2014. His Holiness cancelled his visit next month to the University of Massachusetts.
(Michael S. Wirtz/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)

Tenzin Gyatso, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet, canceled his Oct. 25 visit to the University of Massachusetts campus on Friday, citing medical concerns.

People who purchased tickets for the event, which was to be held in the Mullins Center, will be given full refunds. The Mullins Center box office will begin issuing refunds on Tuesday at 10 a.m., and any tickets purchased online or over the phone will be refunded within a week.

According to a statement from the Dalai Lama’s office, His Holiness arrived in the United States earlier this week and underwent a medical evaluation. Doctors then advised the Dalai Lama to get “complete rest,” forcing him to return home to Dharamsala next week and cancel next month’s visit.

“We deeply regret cancellation of the visit and apologize to everyone who have worked so hard in organizing the visit as well as to the public who have been looking forward to the visit,” the statement said. “We thank everyone for their support and understanding and would like to consider rescheduling the visit in the future.”

The Dalai Lama’s visit to UMass was a highly anticipated event. Students waited outside the Mullins Center for hours last week to obtain tickets to see His Holiness, and as of Friday, tickets to the event were being resold on StubHub for $780.

The Dalai Lama also canceled private visits to Amherst College and Smith College.

“We hope that His Holiness will be able to reschedule his visit to the Five College area and look forward to welcoming him to our campus then,” UMass External Relations said in an email to the campus announcing the cancellation.

The Dali Lama’s three-day visit was to be hosted by the Hadley-based Mind and Life Institute.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Hoff_Patrick16.