Tips for keeping immunity strong and avoiding sickness with cold and flu season right around the corner

(Ben Babcock/ Flickr)
(Ben Babcock/ Flickr)

As the winter season finally draws to a close and spring arrives, the atmosphere at the University of Massachusetts is one of vibrancy and action. People shed their heavy sweaters in exchange for t-shirts, choose to take walking paths back from class rather than buses and embrace the sun as it filters through dorm and classroom windows. That being said, with such ambivalent weather, many students seem to forget that cold and flu season persists.

Everyone dreads – at some point in the past and upcoming weeks – the looming threat of sickness, one that has even been penned by many students as, “The UMass Plague.” People shudder at the notion of becoming a cold or flu victim and are struck with the feeling that it is inevitable, as one by one, the dorm residents are hit by viruses; however, there are precautionary measures that can prevent various ailments. In fact, if one looks around the dining halls, some of the simplest ingredients and foods are key to sustaining a healthy state among the coughs, sniffles and sneezes that surround us all.

One should try their best to keep their hands away from their faces. Hands collect an assortment of germs throughout the day, and as you rub your eyes in the morning or lean on your hands in class, you may be acting as a catalyst for your own sickness. Viruses often enter the body as a result of contact with the eyes, nose or mouth, thereby allowing those germs to come into contact with your face only elevates one’s chance of catching colds. Each object you touch, from door knobs to sinks to forks and knives, can contain such germs. On that note, washing your hands is another vital measure to prevent the spreading of colds.

Despite keeping your hands and face clean, the dorm and classroom settings are quite hospitable to sickness. When one feels cold symptoms coming on, that is the time to act to hinder the virus from progressing. One of the key remedies to an oncoming cold is drinking fluids. Water, tea, juices and even ginger ale to soothe a sore throat or upset stomach are all helpful this time of year. When a cold hits, drink an abundance of water to wash it out of your system. Tea, or warm liquids in general, also become a cold and flu victim’s best friend as the warm water soothes the throat, and with a little lemon and honey, a student has created their own simple remedy within minutes. Meanwhile, one should avoid beverages like coffee, alcohol and milk, which will only enable the cold to continue rather than help fight and cleanse the body of harm.

In terms of the honey and lemon that many people add to their teas, the benefits of consuming either are limitless. Some foods that help to combat an oncoming cold are lemon, honey, garlic and salt water. If you find yourself coughing throughout the night, take a spoonful of honey before going to bed; it will coat your throat to stifle coughs, and the extra sleep you gain as a result can further aid in clearing up a cold. Lemon and garlic are also beneficial in relieving flu-like conditions, and a sore throat can be subsided by gargling salt water.

Other significant ways of avoiding sickness is exercising and taking time out of the day to relax, because stress takes a toll on the body in negative ways. With the semester still in full swing, tensions can be high and people can become overwhelmed with work. This in itself can cause one to feel sick, and taking time out of the day to avoid stress is important to one’s physical and mental well-being. So, get your sleep and avoid stressing over the simple obstacles that occur each day.

Overall, getting a cold here on the UMass campus is unfortunately a relatively common struggle we all face, and we must be prepared to fight the germs and viruses we come into contact with. Nonetheless, with the appropriate precautions in order, you can lower your chances of fostering the ailment and perhaps avoid them altogether.