UMass student arraigned on three counts of rape

(CollegianFilePhoto)

University of Massachusetts student Ryder Chilcoff was arraigned in the Eastern Hampshire District Court on a $7,500 cash bail on January 30 on three counts of rape. According to the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, these counts are in connection to an incident alleged to have occurred in a campus dormitory on Dec. 9 of last year.

If released, Chilcoff must surrender his passport, abide by all UMass rules and keep 50 feet away from the alleged victim, as well as sign a waiver of rendition, according to Mary Carey, Communications Director of the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.

In response to the arraignment, Mary Dettloff, deputy director of UMass News and Media Relations, said, “The University is taking immediate and appropriate steps in the student conduct process to address the matter. Based on federal privacy law, the University cannot share further details about the case.”

In 2016 there were 15 accounts of reported rape in UMass residence halls, according to UMass’ 2016 Annual Security Report.

Chilcoff is due to return to court on March 1 at 9 a.m.

Alvin Buyinza can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abuyinza_news.