Carribean Society to hold carnival

The English Speaking Caribbean Society will be holding its cultural celebration Carnival Again tomorrow in the Student Union Ballroom.

According to Dionne Stennett, the vice-president of the organization, the event is a tradition that is intended to celebrate economic stability and to bring West Indian countries together.

‘This is kind of similar to Mardi Gras, but it has Caribbean roots involved in it,’ Stennett said about the party-type atmosphere to the event.

The event will feature speakers from both the University and from the Office of ALANA Affairs, and will also include rhythms dancing and dancing by the African Student Association among others. Films will also be shown during the event.

In addition, the group has also located costumes from Boston to be worn during the end of the dance portion of the event.

‘I think that this event is going to be great,’ Stennett said. ‘We are expecting a really high turn-out.’

Dinner will be served to all attendees with food coming from Talk of the Town Restaurant located in Springfield. Some of the traditional West Indian foods that will be served include both a rice and peas dish, and Jamaican Jerk Chicken. The meal will be served at 6:45 p.m. on a first come first serve basis.

The event is one of the first official ventures by the organization, a group that was originally formed in 1999.

‘A lot of people have the impression that we are just a dance group,’ she said. ‘I think that this a good starting point for us as an RSO. I think that we have a lot to offer the black community.’

The event will run from 6:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. with the show beginning at 8:00 and being directly followed by a party until 2:00 a.m.

The event is ‘dress to impress’ and is open to the general public. Tickets can be purchased at the door and are eight dollars for UMass and Five College students and ten dollars for the general public.
The carnival is held in conjunction with the Programming Board, Arts Counc

il, and with help from Copy Cat printing, Unity Sports and Cultural Center, eCaroh Caribbean Emporium, LAXTON Records and Big Y.

‘This is a cultural, educational and social event,’ Stennett said. ‘It should be really festive.’