Film highlights lives of gay youth

When it came time for former University of Massachusetts student John Kazlauskas to write a senior thesis, he decided to buck tradition. Rather than spending long hours in the W.E.B. DuBois Library researching embryology or particle physics, Kazlauskas decided to make a film about the experiences of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender [GLBT] high school students.

His film, titled, Speak Up: Improving the Lives of GLBT Youth, was shown last night in Thompson Hall. Kazlauskus, who graduated from UMass in May, was on hand to speak about his experiences making the film, and the importance of awareness of GLBT issues in education.

He explained that the idea to make a film about anti-gay discrimination came to him after he himself was a victim of harassment. He decided to focus on GLBT high school students, although he hopes that the issues explored are universal.

Speak Up features testimony from both students and educators. They describe the negative experiences that GLBT students often suffer through, and urge teachers and administrators to work to prevent such behavior. Information is included about the Massachusetts Safe Schools Program, which works to assure GLBT students of a peaceful educational environment.

Also included in the film are interviews with noted figures such as Real World New Orleans cast members Danny Roberts and Julie Stoffer, Rent star Anthony Rapp, and Judy Shepherd, mother of slain college student Matthew Shepherd.

“I was wondering about how to get in touch with young people,” Kazlauskas said, explaining why he chose to interview celebrities. “Since I knew it was aimed at youth, I thought that a way to get them to connect to it would be to use national figures that everyone would know.”

He said that one of his greatest difficulties in making the film was reluctance from administrators to allow their students to appear.

“One person said to me that they didn’t want straight students to be stigmatized by appearing in a gay video,” Kazlauskas said. “My reaction was, ‘What about the stigma that gay students have?'”

He also said that he had difficulty getting students and teachers to discuss issues regarding the transgendered. Many who were willing to speak about homosexuality, he said, refused to comment on the rights of the transgendered.

“One teacher told me, ‘I don’t want to touch that with a ten foot pole,'” he said.

In addition to commenting on his film, Kazlauskas took questions from the assembled audience.

Women’s Studies Professor Arlene Avakian asked Kazlauskas about the effects of Sept. 11 on his attitude toward his work.

“You made this movie before Sept. 11,” Avakian said. “For a lot of us, life has profoundly changed. Have you thought about this film differently?”

Kazlauskas responded by explaining that his apartment in Manhattan was only a block away from the World Trade Center. He was standing near the towers when they collapsed, and feared for his life.

“I was profoundly affected,” he said. He explained that witnessing the attacks has only strengthened his belief in the importance of the issues explored in the film.

Sut Jhally, the director of the Media Education Foundation, which will be distributing the film to educators, offered words of encouragement.

“If a [straight person] were to ask me why they should watch this video,” Jhally said, “I would say, ‘it will make you feel a little bit guilty, but it will empower you.’ This video offers a non-threatening way to think about an important issue.”