Everybody, pack the Mullins

I felt it as soon as I got into the Mullins Center parking lot: the chilly air, the anticipation, yup, the stage was being set. Walking into the practice rink you just knew. The stands were packed, there was barely room to stand. Fire codes were most likely violated. But everyone there knew they were going to be part of something special.

This was just the exhibition game. Our starting players weren’t even in uniform so they would be sure to be healthy for the opener. Yet even though this game wasn’t going to matter to the standings it sure mattered to the hundreds of students who showed up. Why? Because all of them have been waiting since last season like me for the puck to drop at the “M” once again.

So here is the million-dollar question, where are you going to be tomorrow night? If your thinking like I’m thinking, you will be down at the Mullins Center helping pack that building for what is anticipated to be the biggest crowd in the building’s history. This is a chance to be part of something special. I’m not just talking about tomorrow night’s season opener against UConn, but the entire season. From the moment that puck drops tomorrow night till the buzzer sounds in the last game of the season, there is no excuse not to be supporting the most exciting team on campus.

OK, I know not everyone thinks this team is that exciting but have you been down to a game? This is pure, intense, in your face Hockey East action. It’s the most competitive level of hockey you’re going to see, short of the Olympics and the NHL playoffs. These guys are hungry, and they give 110 percent every game. During winter break when I’m home, I catch a few professional hockey games, and I usually try to get a seat downstairs. But it’s just not the same. Hockey at the Mullins Center is powerful, and everyone should be a part of it.

Don’t believe fans make a difference? Then you obviously didn’t go to last year’s game against Boston University. The comeback win against the competitive regional and Hockey East rival was supported by one of the biggest crowds in UMass history, and when the overtime goal was scored, that building erupted with roars and screams that had been waiting to be let loose for years.

The Mass Attack is a force to be reckoned with in Hockey East. They sure proved that last season, defeating national powerhouse Maine and then taking Hockey East champion UNH to the final three minutes.

Now I know basketball is fun, and football gets a lot of fans too. But there is no thrill like being at a hockey game when UMass nets a goal, and the fans erupt into the traditional chants, pointing at and taunting the opposition’s goalie and letting them know they are in our house.

I’m sure there are readers out there who are thinking, “what can beat a basketball game?” And yeah, basketball is a fun sport to watch; the action is going back and forth. But how many times do you see bone-crushing hits in basketball? Hockey is the pinnacle of athletic competition, and if you don’t believe me, ask an opposing player who just got slammed against the boards what he thinks. That is, if you’re not too busy taunting him through the plexi-glass like I would be.

I don’t mean to be picking on basketball, but your “NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY, GOOD BYE” cheer doesn’t have anything on the chants that get going when an opposing team’s player gets sent to the penalty box. Besides, we get a few of those a game, as long as the refs are fair. And if they’re not, you better believe we let them know it. I’m sure some refs have left the M and cried all the way home.

Oh and how could I forget? There is something else particularly unique to the hockey games here at UMass. Nowhere else can you see Mr. Slice. If you have never heard of Mr. Slice, you should simply be ashamed of yourself. Mr. Slice is the Domino’s sponsored mascot that frequently sends t-shirts sailing into the crowd along with the Minuteman, and they occasionally brawl as well. If you’re lucky, you may win a chance to shoot some pucks past Mr. Slice on the ice during the second intermission.

Tomorrow night I’m looking forward to seeing you all down there. You can find me in the student section, screaming at the top of my lungs. But be ready, because it’s going to be an awesome ride. Our team is a year older than last, with more experience, and the majority of its players returning. It looks to be a very promising season. And when there is a chant going on, you better join in. Don’t be looking around thinking, “wow look at all these geeks.” Sorry pal, but you’re going to be the odd one out there. This is our house, our team, and we need to help them make it our season.

Starting tomorrow night, be there to show your school spirit. Don’t do it for me, do it for the team. And if you don’t do it for the team, do it for Mr. Slice, I’m sure he wants to see a packed house too.

Yousef Munayyer is a Collegian columnist.