Mutual stereotyping of the sexes

I was listening to the radio in the car the other day, when the disc jockey for a Boston-based rock station – I believe her name is Mistress Carrie – began talking about a news story involving a new survey that was taken by the research group Synovate regarding male and female concepts of intimacy.

According to www.news.com.au, the group interviewed 1,000 random people between the days of Nov. 21 and 23 in order to gauge their opinions on sex and intimacy.

This is what they found: 31 percent of men want emotional intimacy out of a relationship, while only 23 percent of men said sex was the goal on a date. However, 27 percent of the women believed that sex was the only goal for men compared to 19 percent of men.

The DJ than proceeded to discredit the survey by basically saying that it was untrue and that men only want sex.

Why do stereotypes about the sexes still persist in this enlightened age of women in the workforce and metrosexuals on the streets of New York?

“Men are drunken, sex-obsessed louts with no intention other than playing the field and women are money-grubbing, nagging harpies.” Neither of those statements are true.

Sitcoms and comedians paint men as bumbling dimwits too overcome by their egos to not let trouble get in the way, while women are the saviors of these holy fools. Sometimes though, women are demeaned as shallow, shrewish “ladies” who only love men for their big wallets.

Yes, sometimes this can be true. But more often than not, these are pathetic clich