The dizzying bookshelf

It’s been said you can learn much about a person by looking at their bookshelf. This is true to an extent, assuming of course the person actually reads those books. Supposing they do, you can learn what a person has interests in, what they have learned, and get a general idea of what they are reading.

When I visit bookstores, and I tend to focus more on metropolitan/or non-college area bookstores, I like to take a look at what books are on display. This is in a sense America’s bookshelf. So upon venturing into one of these Borders and Books or Barnes and Noble stores, I walk directly past the ever-present Starbucks directly to the “current affairs” or “politics” section. My hope is to get an idea of what America is reading when it comes to these issues, who America is listening too. Of course not all Americans shop at these book stores. Some may choose not to read; some may just not have the time; or some may read other sources. Still, many Americans make these bookstores into the giant prosperous corporations that they are today.

In the store, there are always some books set right in front, placed purposely to catch your eye. These are marketed in a certain way to get the readers attention; many times, these can be best sellers, anticipated best sellers, or books on popular issues. Over the past few years since I have been monitoring America’s book shelf, particularly since Sept. 11, but also before that, I have noticed a disturbing common denominator. Almost none of these books were academic. By this, I mean many of the books on America’s shelf are merely authored by pundits blaming the other side for everything wrong that has happened since the beginning of time.

When I first noticed this, I began to pay closer attention. I studied the authors, their education and read what the books were about. Shamefully, I must admit I’ve bought and read these never-to-be-classics. Yes, Sean Hannity has a cozy spot on my bookcase. Sure, he is on the lowest shelf, but he is there.

You may witness such brilliant titles such as “Blinded by the Right,” “Why the Left Hates America.” Blame the left; blame the right. It will just make you dizzy. You may see a book claiming the media is liberal placed next to books that claim the media is just the opposite. America’s bookshelf has deteriorated into a zoo of nothing but donkeys and elephants. Sometimes I wonder what the workers in the bookstore think about while stocking the shelves like this. I like to picture them placing book after book on the shelf while singing, “He likes Bush, and she likes Gore, Do Dah, Do Dah, she likes Bush and he likes Gore OOOOOHHHH Do Dah Day!”

What ever happened with competent people writing competent things? Not all these pundits are incompetent but having a talk show, or wanting one, does not make you an authority on a subject. Books written by insiders like former politicians or ambassadors, or academic works by PhDs, or even journalists are better than some random left or right wing pundit who likes to complain. However, those books, though you may find them at the bookstore, will never be on display in front. Rather those books will likely require you to search the back or lowest shelves in the area for one simple reason: They don’t really sell.

I blame much of this on American culture. We live in a society where we want things, and we want them fast. If we are going to take the time to read a book, we want answers fast. It is the same reason we live in a society fed by fast food franchises. We hate to have to wait for anything.

The reality is though that knowledge is not something we can buy off the dollar menu at a fast food place. It is not something we can imagine getting from one or two books even though that’s how those books seem to be marketed. Knowledge on any issue can only be attained through careful study of many factors, academic study. This is not the kind of stuff you are going to find discussed on your evening news program. Still, books like Al Franken’s make it to the best sellers list. People buy books to read someone’s opinion on an issue then think they have learned it all.

When you think about it, not many people read in general. Of those who do, not many read current affairs. In fact, I have always found that the politics and current affairs sections of these bookstores are the slowest sections, with the cooking, travel and self-help being the busiest.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be possible to arrange a celebrity death match between Michael Moore and Ann Coulter to settle the score once and for all. As ridiculous as that sounds, people in this society would most likely watch it.

Yousef Munayyer is a Collegian columnist.