The Source

Wednesday November 10

Canada’s the New Deal brings their self-described “live progressive breakbeat house” music to UMass Amherst’s student union ballroom tonight, at 10 p.m. The group will play one ninety-minute set; local acts Newsay and the 5th Pocket Open. Tickets are $8 for UMass students, $12 for 5-College students and $16 for the general public.

Tuesday November 9

“Tuesdays in Bezanson” will celebrate Charles Ives on the fiftieth anniversary of his death tonight, at 8 p.m. Eric Berlin (trumpet), Marylou Churchill (violin), William Hite (tenor), Christopher Krueger (flute), Estela Olevsky (piano), Astrid Schween (cello), Nadine Shank (piano) David Sporny (trombone), Nikki Stoia (piano) and Laura Rexroth (conductor) will perform a set of compositions by Ives including The Unanswered Question; Over the Pavements, Scherzo; From the Steeples and the Mountains; Piano Trio and more. UMass Amherst’s Bezanson Recital Hall is the place to be; tickets are $3 for UMass students, $5 for other students, seniors and children and $10 for the general public.

Thursday November 11

Amherst College’s Johnson Chapel will host Jonathan Kozol tonight at 8 p.m. The activist/author (1975’s The Night is Dark and I am Far from Home, 1978’s Children of the Revolution: A Yankee Teacher in the Cuban Schools, 1985’s Illiterate America, 1995’s Amazing Grace: the Lives of Children and the Conscience of a Nation) will speak on “The Artificial Meritocracy: The Silence of our Academic Leaders on the Savage Inequalities and Deepening Resegregation of the U.S. Public Schools.” This event is free and open to the public.

Thursday November 11

Funky white boys Percy Hill throw it down at Northampton’s Pearl Street Night Club tonight at 8:30 p.m. Formed at the University of New Hampshire in 1993, this talented quartet combines jazzy guitar licks, vintage keyboards and Stevie Wonder vocals for a soul shakedown party that’s more than worthy of your sensitive ears. Tickets are $14 in advance and $17 at the door.

Saturday November 13

Smith College’s “Reconstructing the model minority,” a conference sponsored by Asian students of Smith College, and the Korean American students of Smith College, will feature a keynote address by Nitasha Sharma, of Amherst College, who will discuss Asians and hip hop culture; and Dr. Stanley Sue, a clinical psychologist who studies Asian mental health and personality disorders. The conference closes with a date ‘auction’ at 8pm in Graham Hall, Hillyer, with participants from various Smith orgs and the United States miliary academy West Point. To register or get more information, go to www.geocities.com/smithcon2004. This cost of the event is $15, general ($10 in advance); $10, students ($7 in advance).

Weekly Pinup

(Saturday) Former Saturday Night Live cast-member Colin Quinn finds his way to UMass Amherst’s Fine Arts Center Concert Hall for an evening of stand-up comedy, tonight at 10 p.m. Tickets are $5 for UMass students, $10 for 5-College students and $15 for the general public.